Milford Sound Morning Kayak Tours
Serene morning paddle on Milford Sound
Explore the highlights of the fjord on 5 hour kayak tour
Feel the mist of spray from the waterfalls as you paddle up close
Opportunities to spot wildlife and photograph waterfalls
Local guides to safely show you the magic of Milford Sound
A spectacular paddle suitable for all kayaking abilities
Pioneered by Rosco back in 1991, and our most popular adventure in summer and winter, this trip takes you on a big loop of Milford Sound, meaning you get to take in all the highlights! With opportunities to spot wildlife and photograph waterfalls, this is an adventure not to be missed. Join us on a spectacular paddle, suitable for everyone.
Sunriser Classic - Departing from Milford Sound
- The Sunrise Classic is the most popular option during the summer and winter months. This adventure was pioneered by Rosco in 1991 and loops around Milford, giving you the chance to experience the best sights on offer.
- No experience required, minimum age is 14 years old
- 3.5 hours paddling time (10 km)
- Departs between 7.30 am and 10 am depending on the time of year and sunrise (5 hours return trip)
- Available all year
- Life jacket
- Dry bag for your camera & snacks
- Spray skirt
- Paddle jacket
- Poggies (neoprene gloves)
- Double sea kayak with a foot-operated rudder
- Most popular adventure in summer and winter
- This trip takes you on a big loop of Milford Sound
- 10km. 3-3.5 hours paddling. Departs Deepwater Basin.
- Opportunities to spot wildlife and photograph waterfalls
- A spectacular paddle, suitable for everyone
Please check the following schedule for the Sunriser Classic, which varies each month:
- January - 7:15 am
- February - 7:15 am
- March - 8:15 am
- April - 9:00 am
- May - 10:00 am
- June - 10:00 am
- July - 10:00 am
- August - 10:00 am
- September - 9:00 am
- October - 8:15 am
- November - 7:15 am
- December - 7:15 am
- Sunriser Classic is approximately 5 hours with 3 -3.5 hours of kayaking time on Milford Sound
- Sunriser Classic Tour meets at the end of Deep Water Basin Road, Milford Sound
- Deep Water Basin Road is the first left hand turn after the Milford Sound Lodge
- Free car parking is available at Deep Water Basin for the duration of your tour. Look for our yellow kayaks at our meeting point
What To Bring
- Water bottle
- Food/high-energy snacks
- Personal medication
- Soft shoes or sandals
- Rain jacket/shorts
- Change of clothes
- Insect repellent
- Hat and sunglasses
AGE POLICY & HEIGHT/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS
- You must be at least 14 years old (min. weight 25kg) to sea kayak with us on these tours
- Anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent/caregiver/guardian on all of our trips
- At times guests may be deemed not capable of completing a trip, so you may be moved to a more suitable trip on the day
- Our guides use their discretion, based on years of experience, to assess paddlers' ability and weather conditions and match you up with the most appropriate trip on the day
- Proof of age may be requested before your trip commences
- Weight limit 110kg per person & height limit 1.93 metres / weight limit 242.50lbs & height limit 6ft 4in
- All our trips are English speaking. You must have a basic understanding of English in order to follow our guides' safety instructions
- Note: All our trips are smoke, vape, alcohol and drug free.
- Change your booking up to 48 hours before the start time of your experience
- Changes are not permitted within 48 hours of your experience
- Late arrivals or no shows may result in you forfeiting your experience
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Bring the family and enjoy the sights and sounds of New Zealand's most famous animals at Kiwi Park, just 5 minutes from the Queenstown centre!
Embark on a tour to see Royal Albatross in their natural habitat with this viewing tour in the beautiful Otago Peninsula region. Book your tour here.
Visit New Zealand's Te Anau's famous underground network of glow worm caves on this tour that will take you directly into their heart. Free for kids under 4 years.
Cruise the smooth, clear waters of Lake Wakatipu aboard the steam-driven vessel "the Lady of the Lake" for a Queenstown experience to step back in time.
Get a taste of a warm kiwi welcome as you disembark from your TSS Earnslaw cruise of Lake Wakatipu & experience Walter Peak High Country Farm's hospitality.
Travel to Middle Earth and visit the locations and stunning scenery that inspired Peter Jackson's 'Lord of The Rings' sequels in Glenorchy, NZ.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!