Tasman Glacier Heli Hike from Mount Cook
Scenic helicopter flight onto the Tasman Glacier
Glacier landing and pickup
Explore glacial ice formations on a professionally guided hike for up to 2-hours
Operates all year round
A unique walk on NZ's longest glacier
Soar over the Southern Alps on a stunning scenic helicopter flight
- Scenic helicopter flight to the Tasman Glacier
- Glacier landing and pickup
- Approx 2 hours hiking and exploring glacial ice formations
- Professional and experienced heli hike guides
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, waterproof jacket and pants)
- The Tasman Glacier is the largest of several glaciers which flow south and east towards the Mackenzie Basin from the Southern Alps in New Zealand’s South Island
- At 27 kilometres (17 mi) in length, Tasman Glacier is New Zealand’s longest glacier. It is as much as 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) wide and 600 metres (2,000 ft) thick, and lies entirely within the borders of Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park
- The glacier covers an area of 101 square kilometres (39 sq mi) and starts at a height of 3,000 metres (9,800 ft) above sea level
- Witness the beauty the Tasman Glacier lake and the stunning ice formations from the helicopter as you fly over the spectacular Tasman Glacier
- Once you descend and step foot onto the ice you will encounter fresh alpine air as your guide introduces you to the world of the Tasman Glacier
- This is a unique experience and one which will not be forgotten
- Please allow 3 hours for the duration of your experience
- Check-in is upstairs at Mount Cook Airport.
What To Bring
- Warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one)
- There are to be no shorts, skirts or dresses to be worn on Heli-hikes.
- Moderate fitness required
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Maximum weight of 120kg per person, including equipment
- Please note, that all flights have a minimum passenger number for departures. Helicopter Line do their best to coordinate the required minimum, however, should this not be reached, alternative dates or a full refund will be provided
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Your flight is subject to favourable weather conditions; if cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- We recommend booking your flights early in your trip with flexibility for weather changes. We don’t want you to miss out!
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!