West Coast Wildlife Centre Day Pass
See New Zealand’s rarest wildlife
Kids interactive tour
Fascinating West Coast story telling
Suitable for guests of all ages
The true "Home of the Kiwi" in New Zealand, the West Coast Wildlife Centre on NZ's South Island is an essential stop on any holiday itinerary in the region looking for an authentic New Zealand experience! Of all the five different species of Kiwi, the Wildlife Centre is home to the rarest - the Rowi and the Haast Tokoeka - which have become endangered due to a combination of predators and habitat destruction. See these extremely cute birds face to face, all within a beautiful natural setting that encapsulates the best possible combination of New Zealand's famous flora and fauna.
The West Coast Wildlife Centre also rekindles the cultural aspect of the region, bringing to life stories of the West Coast's original inhabitants that range from the distant past evolution of Franz Josef Glacier through to more modern times with the inception of hunting and gold-mining. Grab a ticket to this great facility and see New Zealand's icon on full display at the West Coast Wildlife Centre!
- All day pass
- Food and beverages
Kiwi Backstage Pass
- See the world’s rarest kiwi – up close and personal
- This is an optional extra after purchasing your entry ticket
- Meet our kiwi wildlife ranger
- Your exclusive and personal “behind the scenes tour” to see the world’s rarest kiwis breeding and incubation programme
- Tours depart at 11:00am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm and 4:00pm daily.
- New Zealand’s rarest kiwi
- Kids interactive tour
- West coast wildlife movies
- Fascinating West Coast story telling
- From the rich history surrounding gold-mining and hunting, through to the incredible evolution of the famous Franz Josef glacier itself
- Features indoor attraction with rowi kiwi, café and retail shop
- The indoor attraction is suitable for guests of all ages
- Open every day of the year from 8.30am including Christmas Day
- October - March: 8.30am - 8.00pm
- April - September: 8.30am - 6.00pm
- From Christchurch International Airport follow the signs to Arthurs Pass and the West Coast
- Travel through Hokitika and you will find us just 90 minutes south of Hokitika on the road down to Haast and Queenstown
- Set aside 45 minutes for your visit, but your ticket allows unlimited entry within 24 hours
- If you are interested in a behind the scenes tour, allow half an hour for a guided tour through our incubation facility
- Suggested visit duration is 1 - 2 hours
- Child rate applies to children between 5-15years old. Children under 5 can enter free of charge
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of your purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Get your adrenaline rush on this Zipline Tour over the Port Hills taking in sites of geographic and historical significance.
Experience Kaikoura's abundance of wildlife for yourself on a Kaikoura Albatross bird watching tour, just a 2.5 hour drive from Christchurch.
Experience the thrill of swimming with dolphins in Kaikoura, New Zealand. Book your dolphin encounter in Kaikoura today and make unforgettable memories.
The half-day Abel Tasman kayaking tour is a great option for families exploring nesting cormorants, sea caves and the Split Apple Rock.
Discover the beautiful bays, islands and sea caves of the southern corner of the Abel Tasman National Park during a morning guided kayak tour and walk.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!