Akaroa Dolphin Swim Experience
ONLY place in the world to swim with Hector Dolphins
45 Minutes swimming with the dolphins
Encounter rare and playful mammals
Voted New Zealand's #1 must-do experience
Beautiful volcanic surroundings
Hot chocolate and hot showers afterwards
- Approximately 3 Hour Cruise in the beautiful Akaroa Harbour
- 45 minutes swimming with the dolphins
- Full briefing on dolphin's expected behaviour from dolphin guide
- All equipment is provided including; wetsuit, mask, snorkel, booties, gloves and a hood if necessary
- Hot showers available for afterwards
- Hot chocolate to warm you up after your swim
- Hotel transfers
- Photos are an optional extra and can be purchased on the day
- 2 hour swimming with the dolphins cruise operating between September to April
- Only place in the World you can swim with Hector’s Dolphins
- Listed in the Lonely Planet guide as one of the 'Top 10 Marine Mammal Experiences in The World'
- Beautiful volcanic surroundings *Portion of each ticket goes towards research for Hector’s Dolphins
- The dolphin swim operates all year round
- 11.30am (October to April)
- Duration - 2 hours on the water (plus half an hour before and after)
- Please ensure you arrive 30 minutes prior for check in
- Tour departs from Main Wharf, 61 Beach Rd, Akaroa
- Akaroa Harbour is around 90 minutes drive from Christchurch. Akaroa Township is a quaint, French inspired seaside village which is very romantic and unique in New Zealand
What To Bring
- Swimming costume and a towel (During the low season months of May to September we provide dry suits. With a dry suit you can wear normal clothes underneath and remain 100% dry)
- Note you should wear warm clothes suitable for a cool day, so a polar fleece, polypropylene underwear, woollen socks and trousers are recommended. Jeans are not suitable
- The water temperature in Akaroa Harbour ranges from 11C (52F) in the winter to 17C (67F) in the summer
- All swimmers need to know that they must be confident swimmers in open sea conditions and be able to swim 50 metres unaided, we do not provide life jackets to participate in this activity
- Can I touch the dolphins? No. These dolphins have extremely sensitive skin and a slight touch may bruise or hurt the dolphin. A nail may scratch the surface of their skin causing infections
- What happens if no dolphins are sighted? We have a very generous refund policy, $80 of your money will be refunded if no dolphins are seen
- The minimum age is 8 years old and children should be confident swimmers; they will be close to the boat but obviously will be in water over their heads
- Customers must declare any pre-existing medical conditions, which may limit your participation
- A basic level of fitness is required. You will be floating in the water and will be required to swim to and from the boat - distances up to 50 metres (150 feet) at a time
- Customers should have some knowledge of English, so you can understand safety instructions and emergency procedures. If you do not speak English, you should be able to read and understand the foreign language safety instructions and be confident that you can communicate with crew using the pre-agreed hand signals in the event of an emergency
- Customers must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The vessel holds a maximum of 24 passengers at any given time
Terms And Conditions
- In the unlikely event that customers do not see any dolphins, we offer a 50% refund (both adults and children swimmers) or they can come again another day (swimmers and watchers) should we have availability.
- If customers see the dolphins but cannot swim with them, then we offer a 25% refund.
- To avoid unnecessary administration and inconvenience, where ever possible, the refund will be given to you directly from the supplier
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Cruise vessel subject to change without notice
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements *Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The from price displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Visit the relaxation haven of Hanmer Springs with your choice of two great value passes and let the powers of thermal water cleanse your body and soul.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!