Kaikoura Albatross Encounter - 2.5 Hours
2.5 hour albatross bird watching tour in Kaikoura
Expert guides and insightful commentary
Spectacular coastal and mountain scenery
Opportunity to spot other unique NZ birdlife
Close encounters with albatross in Kaikoura
Experience the ultimate bird-watching adventure with Albatross Encounter Kaikoura, located in the picturesque coastal town of Kaikoura, New Zealand. Embark on a two and a half hour boat tour that allows you to witness majestic albatross and other pelagic birds in their natural habitat.
Albatross Encounter Kaikoura offers an unforgettable experience for nature enthusiasts and bird lovers alike. Join expert guides on a purpose built vessel to encounter these magnificent seabirds up close. With a maximum of 12 people on the boat, you will have plenty of opportunities to gain a deeper understanding of these seabirds from the knowledgeable and passionate Albatross Tour Kaikoura guides.
During the tour, you'll have the opportunity to observe various species of albatross, including the Wandering Albatross, Royal Albatross, and the endangered Northern Royal Albatross. Marvel at their impressive wingspans and graceful flight as they soar above the ocean waves.
Kaikoura is renowned for its abundance of marine wildlife, making it the perfect location for albatross sightings, as well as other species of birds. As you cruise along the rugged Kaikoura coastline, keep an eye out for different species of petrel, shearwater, blue penguins, skua, gulls and many more. It's a bird lover's paradise!
Albatross Encounter Kaikoura is committed to sustainable tourism practices and the protection of these magnificent birds. By participating in this tour, you are supporting local conservation efforts and contributing to the preservation of these incredible creatures.
Don't miss the opportunity to embark on an unforgettable albatross tour in Kaikoura. Book your Albatross Encounter Kaikoura experience today and immerse yourself in the beauty of these remarkable seabirds in their natural habitat.
- 2.5 hour Kaikoura albatross encounter tour
- Cruise onboard a purpose built bird watching vessel
- Passionate and knowledgeable guides
- Small groups with a maximum of 12 people
- A very high success rate for seeing albatross!
- The actual time on the water is up to 2.5 hours. Including check-time, you should allow 3.5 hours for this experience
- This tour departs from 96 Esplanade, Kaikōura (within an easy 10 minute walk from the town centre)
What To Bring
- Warm clothing
- Woolly hat in winter and sunhat in summer
- Minimum age is 3 years (this can be increased at captains discretion if the conditions are not suitable)
- No specialised equipment is necessary however we do recommend passengers bring warm clothing & sensible footwear
- No experience & no prior bird knowledge is necessary. This tour is suitable for people with a general interest in wildlife to the passionate birder, as well as keen photographers
- Albatross Encounter has a 100% success rate of locating albatross on this tour
- The tour is only 2.5 hours in duration & usually travels to various locations along the coast. Pelagic birds are typically found just 5 minutes from the shore and usually, you are never more than 20 minutes from the shore
- Encounter Kaikoura boasts an on-site cafe with great coffee, beautiful food & breathtaking views. Cafe Encounter is open for breakfast, lunch & casual dining throughout the day. The cafe is fully licenced, so why not pop in & sample some local beers & wines, our homemade baking & other tasty treats before or after your tour
- All tours are subject to suitable weather conditions. Please note that the sea conditions can change very quickly along the Kaikoura coast at little notice
- If you are susceptible to motion sickness we recommend taking medication prior to your trip. This can be found at the local pharmacy in the town centre
- Minimum numbers required for tour to go ahead
- Change your booking up to 24 hours before the start time of your experience
- Changes are not permitted within 24 hours of your experience
- Late arrivals or no shows may result in you forfeiting your experience
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of purchase
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!