Hobbit Kayaking Tour on Pelorus River
Kayaking on the beautiful Pelorus River
Visit the locations where Hobbit was filmed
Hear all the inside information about the filming
One of the most amazing wild river in NZ
Experienced friendly tour guides
Grade 1 & 2 rapids
Tour some of the most famous scenes from the Hobbit movies in a fun and energetic way with these kayaking tours on the lovely Pelorus River! Join the friendly and experienced guides as they take you on an aquatic journey through the "real" Middle Earth, exploring some iconic spots from the trilogy in the picturesque Marlborough region of NZ; travel down one of the most amazing wild rivers in New Zealand along the same route followed in the Desolation of Smaug Hobbit film; stand on the same rocks as Bilbo and his pint-sized friends, pass by wonderful waterfalls and much more. Along the way, you'll be given all the insider information about both the region and filming process and become involved in the spirit of the films in person - all while getting a dose of fresh air and wonderful NZ scenery.
This kayaking tour is the ideal outdoor adventure for Lord of the Rings fans travelling to the Marlborough region all combined with unmatched fun on the water - and with everything you'll need included, there's no better way to experience The Hobbit during your trip to NZ!
- Hobbit themed kayaking tour on the beautiful Pelorus River
- Insect repellent
- Sun screen
- A full range of safety equipment incl. wetsuits
- Hotel transfers - Public buses are available daily (Approx $25pp from Nelson/Picton/Blenheim area)
- Tour guides take pictures & videos of your trip which you can purchase after if you wish
- Picnics and BBQs are available for purchase and payable on the day
- Kayak one of the most amazing wild rivers in NZ
- Fully guided tour through the exact same locations as where the wild river barrel scene in “The Hobbit- The desolation of Smaug” was filmed
- Stand where Sir Peter Jackson and his film team made this great movie and paddle yourself along the Hobbit river in our very safe inflatable kayaks
- Stand on the same rocks as Bilbo and his dwarf friends
- See the exact location where Kili was shot
- Have your photo taken where the dwarves exited the barrels
- Pass the same waterfall as shown in the movie in your own kayak
- Get to know all the inside information about the filming
- Take away a free A4 poster including the pictures of the barrel scenes
- Get involved in the beautiful Hobbit area
- LOTR Fans will love this wild river kayaking activity
- Tours depart daily at 9am and 2pm from Main Road, Havelock
- 2.5 hours kayaking on the water. Please allow 4.5 hours total
What To Bring
- Suitable footwear, preferably closed waterproofed shoes
- T-Shirt, shorts or swimmers
- Sun glasses
- Water bottle
- Change of (warm) clothes
- Cameras and I-phones are permitted on the river at your own risk - Bring a dry bag to fasten your camera to our wild river kayaks
- Age restriction : 4 years if accompanied by an adult. Please advise age of children at time of booking as river levels may effect suitability of your kayaking tour
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of jump
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this experience
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!