Byron Bay Whale Watching Premier Cruise
What you need to know
Take part in a whale watching tour with a difference on this boat cruise in the waters of Cape Byron. Witness these gentle yet playful giants of the ocean in their natural habitat as they migrate past the Byron Bay Headland! Whale watching is a once in a lifetime experience that everyone should have on his or her bucket list. On this boat cruise you will travel with a marine biologist who will provide informative commentary and answer all your questions. The boat also has a hydrophone so that you may listen to whale songs in real time as they travel nearby.
The Whale Watching Cruises operate in season from May to November from Ballina Wharf. Don’t miss out on this amazing experience.
Book your whale watching cruise online today!
- A two hour cruise through the stunning waters of Cape Byron seeking out the astonishing Humpback Whale
- Departs from Ballina Richmond River, experience breathtaking scenery and picturesque backdrops and pristine waters of the Cape Byron Marine Park
- The approachable onboard Marine Biologist will enthusiastically narrate your trip with in-depth knowledge of the area and answer every question
- The vessel is equipped with a hydrophone, allowing you to hear the humpback whale song
- Experience one of the most astonishing ocean mammals in their natural habitat
- Accommodation transfers are currently unavailable
- Whale watching tours depart at 7.30am, 10am, 12:30pm and 3pm between May and November
- Approximately 2 hour on the water experience
- Ballina Wharf 12 Fawcett St, Ballina NSW directly in front of The Wharf Bar & Restaurant
Is this adventure good for all ages?
Yes it is! On our trip’s we allow children aged 5 and up. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Everyone must wear life jackets assigned by the Captain at all times and follow Captain’s instructions.
How is this vessel different to others in the area?
We are the only RIB style vessel in the Ballina & Byron area that does Byron Bay tours up and down the coast purely for ocean, scenic and eco adventures. Our vessel also has the capacity to comfortably take up to 20 passengers on board.
Is the vessel wheelchair accessible?
The wharf is wheelchair and walker accessible, but one must be able to sit down on to the inflatable pontoon of the boat and pivot into the boat to the nearest seat. We do not store wheelchairs aboard the vessel. Please let us know if you have any special requirements or assistance and we will be more than happy to help.
What happens if it rains?
The tour runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but we may cancel the activity up to the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If we cancel the event, ticket holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), convert their tickets to Gift Certificates for use up to 3 years in the future, or receive a full refund.
Will I get wet?
There is a possibility of getting wet on our Byron Bay tours when it’s windy and choppy since our vessel is open and low to the water. We provide high quality jackets that fit over your warm layers and provide wind and water protection. The captain will endeavour to keep you as dry as possible, but in some conditions spray is inevitable.
Are food and drinks served on the trip?
Snacks are not provided on this trip. We have a cooler on board that can accommodate light snacks and beverages. There are restaurants nearby to the boarding wharf. We do not recommend bringing full carry-out meals or picnics on board.
Do you have bottled water for purchase?
We provide reusable water bottles for the trip, unless you would like to bring your own. We consciously do not offer single-use plastic water bottles. As ocean ambassadors, we support alternatives to “disposable” plastics because we’ve seen the destructive effects it has on the sea life we love. We might even stop to pick up some plastic trash or a deflated helium balloon during your trip, and celebrate saving the life of a sea turtle or whale that will not eat that one piece of plastic by accident.
What type of boat is this?
Our boats are RIBs, or Rigid-hull Inflatable Boats, with a hard fiberglass hull surrounded by inflated pontoons for extra stability. RIBs are popular for whale-watching in many parts of the world. Ours is the first 20 seater offering ocean adventures in the Byron and Ballina Region. Our vessel is built to the highest standards of safety and reliability making them perfect for our Byron Bay tours.
When is Byron Bay’s whale watching season?
The Byron Bay whale watching season starts in June. The first migrating Humpback Whales are normally sighted in May, but we don’t start whale watching until there are enough whales around to ensure that you will have plenty to see. Byron Bay’s whale watching season ends in early November.
What if the trip gets cancelled due to bad weather?
If we deem sea or bar conditions to be dangerous or extremely unpleasant for our customers, we will cancel our Byron Bay tours and give you a full refund. To avoid inconvenience, we will endeavour to give you as much notice as possible by studying forecasts and observing sea conditions. However, forecasts can be inaccurate and sea conditions can change unexpectedly. If you have any doubt about the conditions or if you are travelling a long distance to get to us, please give us a call on the day before departure. Please note that light rain and overcast skies will not affect your whale watching trip or Byron Bay tours.
What To Bring
- Bring along your hat, sunnies, sunscreen, water and camera and a warm jumper (just in case)
- If you do not see a whale on your scheduled whale watching cruise, you will receive your next trip free of charge
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
Confirmation in the form of an e-voucher will be sent to your email at the time of purchase. Although we do our best to deliver it instantly, occasionally, this may take up to 6 hours for the e-voucher to be delivered. For any queries, please get in touch with us . We're always happy to help.