Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
As soon as you step into the Royal Botanic Gardens, you'll feel like you've been transported to a far-off land. With towering trees, flowering gardens, and tranquil ponds, it's easy to lose yourself in nature. Whether you're looking for a peaceful escape or an Instagram-worthy best photo opp, the Royal Botanical Gardens is definitely worth a visit!
Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne map
A map of the Royal Botanical Gardens is just a mouse click away. Download the Royal Botanical Gardens Melbourne map here before your visit.
Royal Botanic Gardens opening hours
- 1st October – 31 March: 7:30 am to 7:30 pm daily
- 1st April – 30th September: 7:30 pm to 5:30 pm daily
Royal Botanic Gardens entry fee
The Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne has no admission fee and is a free garden.
Guilfoyle's Volcano is a cactus and succulent wonderland surrounding a historical water reservoir with spectacular views of Melbourne city.
Fern Gully South Yarra
Fern Gully is a lush microclimate tropical forest where you can enjoy a peaceful walk under the canopy of ferns and other trees.
Royal Botanic Gardens free guided tour
Discover the highlights of the Botanic Gardens in this free 1h 30min tour. The minimum age to participate is 8 years old. Book here.
Ian Potter Foundation Children’s garden
The Children's Garden at Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne is a super fun activity for kids. The area is fully fenced off, making the garden a safe place for kids to run around and explore nature, while the parents relax.
Children's Garden opening hours
- During the school term: Open from 10 am to sunset, Wednesday to Sunday and public holidays. Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- During the school holidays: Open from 10 am to sunset, seven days a week
Royal Botanical Garden facilities
- Melbourne Botanical Gardens Cafes: Jardin Tan (open daily from 8 am to 3 pm) and The Terrace Cafe (open Fri – Sun, 9.30 am – 3.30 pm); The Terrace Kiosk (open daily from 9.30 am to 3.30 pm)
- Public toilets
- Seating around the park
Dogs at Royal Botanical Gardens:
At the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, dogs are allowed on a leash everywhere except:
- The Ian Potter Foundation Children’s Garden
- Visitor Centre
- Gardens Shop
BBQ at Botanical Gardens
BBQs cannot be held in the gardens. Feel free to bring a picnic to enjoy with family and friends instead.
Not permitted activities at Botanical Gardens:
The following activities are also not allowed in the gardens:
- Bike or scooter riding
- Damaging or removing plants
- Ball games
- Rollerblading or skateboarding
- Climbing trees or plants
Accessibility at Botanical Gardens:
All areas of the Melbourne Gardens are wheelchair-accessible and accessible by walker except:
- Melbourne Observatory because of their historically narrow entrances;
- Fern Gully is not recommended due to uneven path structures and narrow pathways.
Wheelchairs are available 9 am – 5 pm daily, for a $50 refundable cash deposit required at pick up. Call +61 3 9252 2429 to book.