Wakatipu Basin Lord of the Rings Tour
Visit Lord of the Rings filming locations
Morning or Afternoon Tea
Extreme 4WD adventuring
4 hour scenic tour
Hotel Transfers from Queenstown
Explore some famous Lord of the Rings sites in the region surrounding Queenstown and embark on a 4WD safari adventure, off-roading into remote areas of New Zealand’s backcountry journeying over Queenstown's most rugged terrain on this great value day tour. Its river crossings and breathtaking meadows – this is truly scenic adventuring at its best! Our 4hour Wakatipu Basin Lord of the Rings Tour takes you to The Remarkables, Queenstown’s majestic mountain range. These rugged mountains were used to depict various mountainous peaks throughout the film trilogy including that of the the “Misty Mountains”.
We then journey into the Kawarau Gorge to see more famous LOTR film locations before heading to the historical area of Arrowtown amping it up for some extreme off-roading! Travelling in specialised 4x4 vehicle we follow the historic gold mining road up to the beautiful Arrow River where you can try your hand at panning for gold! This film location tour combines a sightseeing safari and exhilarating off-road four wheel driving - a perfect mix for any adventure-seeking Lord of the Rings fan!
- 4 hr 4WD Lord of Rings Tour
- Morning or Afternoon Tea
- Gold Panning
- Includes local Queenstown pick up and drop off (excludes private addresses, guest houses or Airbnb. Please confirm with the operator for the closest pick up location)
- Extreme 4WD adventuring!
- Visit filming locations of Minas Tirith, Misty Mountains and the Pillars of the Kings
- Birds eye view over Deer Park Heights
- Sightseeing Queenstown's most picturesque areas
- Extreme 4WD adventuring
- Gold Panning
- Tours depart daily at 8:15am and 1:30pm
What To Bring
- Bottle of water
- Jacket (winter)
- Walking Shoes
- Cancellations within 24 hours full charge
- All tours are subject to weather, road and river conditions
- Dress appropriately for outdoor adventures in the mountains
- A minimum of 2 people is required to operator this tour
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Bring the family and enjoy the sights and sounds of New Zealand's most famous animals at Kiwi Park, just 5 minutes from the Queenstown centre!
Embark on a tour to see Royal Albatross in their natural habitat with this viewing tour in the beautiful Otago Peninsula region. Book your tour here.
Visit New Zealand's Te Anau's famous underground network of glow worm caves on this tour that will take you directly into their heart. Free for kids under 4 years.
Cruise the smooth, clear waters of Lake Wakatipu aboard the steam-driven vessel "the Lady of the Lake" for a Queenstown experience to step back in time.
Get a taste of a warm kiwi welcome as you disembark from your TSS Earnslaw cruise of Lake Wakatipu & experience Walter Peak High Country Farm's hospitality.
Travel to Middle Earth and visit the locations and stunning scenery that inspired Peter Jackson's 'Lord of The Rings' sequels in Glenorchy, NZ.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!