Glenorchy Lord of the Rings Tour
Witness recognisable film locations
Over 4hr 4WD Scenic Tour
Morning or Afternoon Tea
Transfers from selected Queenstown hotels
Stunning natural scenery
Knowledgeable and experienced guide
For Lord of the Rings fans this is THE tour! Nomad Safaris will take you on a half day trip deep into LOTR filming territory on an off-roading scenic 4WD adventure like no other. Bring the films to life with our authentic replica props, dress up and take photos, or simply soak up the scenery! The Glenorchy Safari of the Scenes tour explores some of the most famous filming locations used to depict J.R.R Tolkien’s Middle Earth. These stunning locations include the area containing the fortress of Isengard, the Forest of Lothlorien, along with other film locations for movies such as X-Men Origins – “Wolverine” and “Prince Caspian” from The Chronicles of Narnia.
Your knowledgeable guide will entertain you along the way with fascinating insights onto the area’s unique history and of course fill you in on all the juicy details of each filming location! Travelling through this landscape it is easy to see why location scouts chose to film here utilising the stunning natural beauty of New Zealand’s Central Otago region. On this scenic tour you will see incredible views of Queenstown’s Mt Earnslaw and Lake Wakatipu, we will stop at various vantage points providing the perfect opportunity for taking dramatic photos of the most breathtaking landscapes that you have ever encountered. Hold on tight for a 4WD off-road adventure taking you off the beaten track and deep into the real Middle Earth!
- 4hrs 15mins scenic 4WD tour
- Morning or Afternoon Tea
- Half day guided tour
- Includes local Queenstown pick up and drop off (excludes private addresses, guest houses or Airbnb. Please confirm with the operator for the closest pick up location)
- This scenic sightseeing tour includes recognisable film locations and stunning natural scenery
- The Glenorchy Safari of the Scenes takes you from Queenstown to Glenorchy stopping at breath-taking viewpoints along the way
- Beyond Glenorchy follow the Dart River to the spectacular filming location for Isengard
- The Safari of the Scenes - Glenorchy also includes locations from Xmen Origins: Wolverine, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
- Tours depart daily at 8.00am & 1.30pm
What To Bring
- Bottle of water
- Jacket (winter)
- Walking Shoes
- Cancellations within 24 hours full charge
- All tours are subject to weather, road and river conditions
- Dress appropriately for outdoor adventures in the mountains
- A minimum of 2 people is required to operator this tour
- A minimum of 4 people is required to operator this tour on NZ public holidays
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Cruise the smooth, clear waters of Lake Wakatipu aboard the steam-driven vessel "the Lady of the Lake" for a Queenstown experience to step back in time.
Embark on a tour to see Royal Albatross in their natural habitat with this viewing tour in the beautiful Otago Peninsula region. Book your tour here.
Bring the family and enjoy the sights and sounds of New Zealand's most famous animals at Kiwi Park, just 5 minutes from the Queenstown centre!
Visit New Zealand's Te Anau's famous underground network of glow worm caves on this tour that will take you directly into their heart. Free for kids under 4 years.
Get a taste of a warm kiwi welcome as you disembark from your TSS Earnslaw cruise of Lake Wakatipu & experience Walter Peak High Country Farm's hospitality.
Travel to Middle Earth and visit the locations and stunning scenery that inspired Peter Jackson's 'Lord of The Rings' sequels in Glenorchy, NZ.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!