4 Hour Twilight Encounter
Mighty Waipoua Forest
Experienced and informative local Maori guides
Waiata (sacred chants)
Life changing experience!
'The Lord of the Forest' Tane Mahuta!
- 4 Hour tour of Waipoua Forest
- Experience the affinity that early Maori had with the forest and the deep spiritual respect they hold for the giants still growing there
- Learn of the rich bird life and other fauna that inhabits the forest and witness the transitions of life
- Your Maori guides will relate stories and legends of the forest, of its gods, and other spiritual inhabitants
- They will greet the giant trees with spine-tingling waiata (sacred chants)
- Learn how Maori used plants for medicinal purposes
- As night falls, the shyest creatures of the forest awaken and begin to go about their work
- You may encounter insects like weta, nocturnal birds, eels, fresh-water lobsters or the magnificent but slightly chilling giant carnivorous 'kauri' snail
- Deep in the forest among the towering trees and surrounded by the sounds of the nocturnal creatures awakening
- You will meet Te Matua Ngahere - 'The Father of the Forest' between 2,500 and 3,000 years old he is the oldest known kauri tree in the world
- Meet with 'The Lord of the Forest' - the giant Tane Mahuta!
- Your guide will formally greet the silent giant and then suddenly you stand dwarfed before his Lordship as the darkness closes in
- Tour departs daily at 6.00pm (October-March) and 5.00pm (April-October)
- Departs from The Copthorne Hotel & Resort Hokianga, Stage Highway 12, Omapere, Hokianga, Northland
If you have booked a hotel
- Prior to completing your purchase, enter your hotel name in the 'Add Booking Notes' section of the shopping cart. Once your booking is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation tour voucher with complete tour operator details. You will be required to contact the tour operator a minimum of 48hrs prior to your day of travel to reconfirm your hotel pick up time
If you have not yet booked a hotel
- If you have not yet booked a hotel, enter the words 'hotel not known' in the 'Add Booking Notes' section of the shopping cart. Once your booking is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation tour voucher with complete tour operator details. You will be required to contact the tour operator a minimum of 48hrs prior to your day of travel to reconfirm your hotel pick up time
If you do not require a hotel pick up
- If you do not require a hotel pick up and will be meeting the tour at the tour departure point, enter the words 'not required' in the 'Add Booking Notes' section of the shopping cart. Once your booking is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation tour voucher with complete tour operator details. You will be required to contact the tour operator a minimum of 48hrs prior to your day of travel to reconfirm your tour. Tour departure point is listed above and on your confirmation tour voucher
- Pick up from accommodation within the area is approximately 15 minutes before departure. This would vary depending on whether it was daylight savings or not
- Tour is not recommended for children under 5
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Explore and discover Waimangu Volcanic Valley near Rotorua in New Zealand on a combined walk and boat cruise of the areas geothermal and cultural highlights
Visit 2 of Auckland's best attractions with this great value combo pass into SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium and Auckland Zoo.
Located on the bank of the Wairoa River, Waimarino Adventure Park is a haven for all things recreational - book your admission to the park online today! Free entry for children under 5 years of age.
Buy tickets to Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium in New Zealand - home of the sub-antarctic penguins and more - online at great prices here.
Explore Waitomo's three main cave systems with this bundle package combining the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Ruakuri Cave and Aranui Cave for one great price. Free for kids under 4 years.
Enjoy a day out on the water cruising the pristine Bay of Islands coastline during this five-hour dolphin and wildlife cruise from Tauranga.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!