Triple Cave Combo
The Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Ancient underground labyrinth of limestone
Boat trip like no other
Explore Waitomo's three main cave systems with this bundle package combining the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Ruakuri Cave and Aranui Cave for one great price. This tour will see you travel deep into the underground of the Waikato region to explore the three popular cave systems. The Waitomo Glowworm Caves are the most well-known with the local cluster of glowworms lighting up the cave in a dazzling display of bright lights resembling that of the night sky. Visitors are asked to allow 45 minutes to explore the cave with the organised tours that run at various times throughout the day.
The Ruakuri Cave is exciting from the moment you step inside as the innovative spiral entrance will take you deep underground to explore the bellowing waterfalls and intricate limestone formations. Tours into the Ruakuri Cave take around 2 hours to complete and are to be booked prior to your arrival. Finally, the Aranui Cave is another short tour, taking only 45 minutes to explore. Located just a 5 minute journey from the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, this is the smallest and most delicate cave of the three and features a range of sights limestone formations including stalactites, stalagmites and flowstones.
How It Works
- When booking this tour, please advise your preferred tour time for the Waitomo Glowworm Caves in the booking notes
- Once completing the booking, you will receive your tour voucher via email
- Your tour operators details will be on the voucher, please phone to reconfirm booking and you must pre-book in your time for the Ruakuri and Aranui Caves tours
- The key message to you, to avoid disappointment, is to please Book Early to secure your preferred availability and to reiterate to your customer to please Be on Time. To ensure the best experience for our shared customers, an appropriate mix between group tours & FIT must be balanced throughout the day to ensure a harmonious experience for all. This means there will be some allocation made for our FIT guests - there are no restrictions on securing your preferred time slot and encourage all partners to book early to avoid disappointment. We apologise in advance if your preferred time slot is unavailable.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Ruakuri Caves
- Aranui Caves
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Your guided tour will take you through over 250 metres of stunning underground scenery
- Proceed along a low narrow passage to the Tomo, a deep limestone shaft
- Magnificent cave formations include the Banquet Chamber, the Pipe Organ and the Catacombs
- Unrivalled boat trip through the spectacular Glowworm Grotto, adjust to the dark, the walls and roof sparkle with the lights of glowworm larvae
- The Ruakuri cave, narrow winding corridors, hidden waterfalls and amazing cave decorations wait to be discovered
- The most beautiful of caves, Aranui has a resplendent array of stalactites and stalagmites
- The delicate formations create a place for quiet contemplation and a time to reflect on the wonders of nature
- Times for the Glowworm Cave is from 9am – 5pm daily
- Tours run daily from the Waitomo Glowworm Cave
- Depart from the Waitomo Glowworm Cave, a shuttle is provided for the Ruakuri Cave (if space allows)
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Warm jacket
- Swimwear (or something to wear under the wetsuit)
- Camera (permitted only in Ruakuri Cave)
- Tour times are subject to change without notice
- Child prices are for 4-14 years old inclusive (proof may be required)
- Children under 4 years of age are free
- No smoking, food, drink or litter are permitted inside the caves
- Photography and video are not permitted inside the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, but is allowed in the Ruakuri Cave
Aranui Cave is set in the Ruakuri Scenic Reserve, 5 minutes drive from the Waitomo Glowworm Caves. It is named after Ruruku Aranui, the local Maori man who first discovered this previously hidden gem back in 1910
Aranui Cave has a natural cave entrance and is the smallest and most delicate of Waitomo's three main caves. As a dry cave without a river running through it, it houses very little life past its entrance
Aranui Cave now offers multiple tour slots 7 days a week.
Ruakuri Cave is New Zealand's longest guided underground walking tour and an experience that must be seen to be believed. It will leave you open-mouthed, awe-struck and humbled by the sheer majesty of nature
Ruakuri has a spectacular spiral entrance, and marvel at the softly folding shawl-like limestone formations and crystal tapestries. Hear the distant thunder of the subterranean waterfalls and get up close to the glowworms
In the continual pursuit of customer experience excellence, the Waitomo Glowworm Cave will continue to offer a maximum tour group size of 23 throughout the summer period. This ensures our Manuhiri (guests) have the most personal experience with the Waitomo Glowworm Cave during their visit. This intimate setting provides our guides with the opportunity for invaluable deep cultural & environmental story telling that we will continue to provide through the summer season.
- As a result of high demand for allocations we have seen the need to increase our cancellation period from the current 24 hour policy to 72 hours from December 1st, 2023.
- All bookings and final numbers will need to be confirmed before this time otherwise cancellation fees will apply.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The from price displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Explore and discover Waimangu Volcanic Valley near Rotorua in New Zealand on a combined walk and boat cruise of the areas geothermal and cultural highlights
Visit 2 of Auckland's best attractions with this great value combo pass into SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium and Auckland Zoo.
Located on the bank of the Wairoa River, Waimarino Adventure Park is a haven for all things recreational - book your admission to the park online today! Free entry for children under 5 years of age.
Buy tickets to Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium in New Zealand - home of the sub-antarctic penguins and more - online at great prices here.
Enjoy a day out on the water cruising the pristine Bay of Islands coastline during this five-hour dolphin and wildlife cruise from Tauranga.
Jump aboard a hop-on hop-off explorer bus and visit Auckland's essential attractions at your own pace while getting a grand tour of the city itself! Free entry for kids under 4 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!