Wheelchair Accessible Beach In Altona
Beach matting is available 24x7
Accessible beach in Australia
Free beach wheelchairs on Saturdays & Sundays
Make a wonderful trip to Altona Beach with the whole family, which is about 30 minutes drive west of Melbourne.
There are lots to do there, including visiting local shops, excellent fish & chips and superb restaurants. A local market is operated every Tuesday, on Pier Street and Logan Reserve Altona, from 9 am to 3 pm. There you can buy fresh local produce along with arts & crafts.
Free-to-hire beach wheelchairs are available on Saturdays and Sundays from 12 pm to 5 pm.
Bookings for your free-to-use wheelchairs are available by contacting Council’s Metro Access and Inclusion Officer by:
- Phone: 9932 1000, 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday or
- Email: [email protected].
There are four types of beach wheelchairs available at Altona. Please, note that bookings are essential:
- Sandcruiser. Designed for adults to travel on the sand along the beach.
- Sandpiper. Designed for children to travel on the sand along the beach.
- MobiChair. Designed to enter the water to waist height of the support person.
- DaVinci. This is a manual self-propelled beach wheelchair.
LOCATION FACILITIES AND OPERATING DATES:
- Standard operating dates: 3 December - 26 March
- Accessible parking
- Accessible bathrooms
- Accessible shower
- Accessible change facility (with a change table and hoist are at Weaver Reserve
- The excellent lead-up pathways
- Extra-wide accessible beach matting up until the shoreline
- Matting is available seven days a week
- Food & drink & shopping
At the Weaver Reserve, which is across the road from Altona Beach, there is an accessible change facility. This can be accessed at any time with an MLAK key. There is a hoist available for a transfer there, so please ensure you bring your sling.
Please note that all the beach wheelchairs require assistance and supervision as they are not independent chairs. Thus, please ensure you have the right level of support to transfer and push the beach wheelchair.
For more information, please visit the Hobsons Bay City Council website:
You may also like these kids' and family activities
School Holiday Programs: 02-25 Jan 2024
Summer Holiday Program: 15, 16, 22, 23, 24 January 2024. Online: 15-19 January 2024
4-Week Intensive Course: 03-30 January 2023 (Weekdays 10am-3pm)
School holiday program: 15 January 2024
School holiday program: 8-9 Jan; 17 Jan; 18-19 Jan 2024