Blue Lotus Water Garden In Yarra Junction
Free fun for kids
Flower fairy, goldfish feeding and kids play area
Scenic accessible walking trails
Picnic facilities and BBQs
See the Giant Amazon Lily
Don’t miss the annual lotus flower season at the Blue Lotus Water Garden. Bring the whole family along for a fantastic day out!
Located in the Yarra Valley, the incredible Blue Lotus Water Garden is a stunning sight for all. Take a lovely stroll around the garden paths and bridges and admire the thousands of floating lily flowers.
Discover Australia's biggest water lily, the Giant Amazon Waterlily, which can grow leaves up to 2 meters in diameter! The amazing display of blooming flowers has been the best in Australia over the last 10 years.
The best time to visit the Blue Lotus Water Garden is early February to mid April. However lotus lake looks fantastic any time! The garden is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm, including public holidays and Easter.
The 14-acre display of lotus and water lilies is open only between 26th December 2019 and 13th April 2020.
So bring the whole family along for a fantastic day out before the end of the season!
Blue Lotus Water Garden History
It was originally operated as a cabbage farm until the late 1990s. The owners, Geoff and Yvonne Cochrane, decided to use the land to create an amazing water garden. So in 2006, Blue Lotus Water Garden was officially opened.
Since then, Blue Lotus Water Garden has featured two ornamental lakes, dozens of ponds, ornate bridges, multiple sculptures, sculpture fountains, a waterfall, and a play area for kids which are just waiting to be explored.
Magic at the garden
During the weekends and holidays, Flower Fairy Queen flies in to have fun with the kids at Blue Lotus Water Garden. There is face painting (at a small additional fee of $5) and storytelling activities.
Fairy appearance times: February and March 2020
- Saturdays & Sundays - 12 pm - 2 pm (storytime at 1 pm)
- Public Holidays - 12 pm - 3 pm (storytime at 1 pm and 2 pm)
More kids activities at Flower Fairy Garden
- Goldfish Feeding at 2 pm on the bridge near the Garden Kiosk at the Silver Lotus Lagoon. Keep a lookout for the monster goldfish!
- Dragon Treasure Spotto is a fun activity for kids. Get an adventure sheet on arrival, which contains some clues about what can be found in the garden. Find all 10 things and claim a lollypop reward at the ticket counter.
- Dragon Trail. Go on an adventure to meet the mystical Red Dragon.
- Giants of the Amazon. Located in the Tropical World complex, there are two greenhouses that contain Australia's biggest water lily, the Giant Amazon Waterlily. This giant has massive leaves called lily pads, which can grow up to 2m in diameter. Just incredible.
- Lotus Root Chips. A trip to the Blue Lotus Water Garden would not be complete without trying their homemade lotus root chips. So delicious!
Based on official site, this one of Australis's premier seasonal gardens actively welcomes people
- from 26th December to early April
- 10 am to 5 pm daily, including public holidays and Easter
- Kids under 16 y.o. - FREE
- Adults - $20
- Senior, pension, Australian student cardholders - $17.50 (They don’t accept Health Care Cards or any other concession cards)
- Companion card holders - FREE (Must be assisting a person with a disability that has a ticket).
- Toilets (including one accessible toilet)
- Coin-operated BBQs
- Picnic tables and seating (included shaded seating)
- Free parking (although it may be full during busy times)
- Lily Pond Cafe and kiosk
- Free wheelchair hire
Blue Lotus Water Garden Tickets can be purchased directly at the venue.
- Don’t forget your camera and and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Pick up a colourful umbrella at the entrance for a sun/rain protection or to take some fun pictures.
- Take a hat and sunscreen.
- Expect to spend 1.5 hours exploring the gardens.
- Pack a picnic to enjoy in one of the designated picnic areas or cook a feast at the coin-operated BBQs. Stop for a snack or rest at their family-friendly rotundas around the gardens.
- There are several drinking water taps available on site to keep you hydrated.
- The Garden is mostly pram friendly (I noticed only a few slopes).
- Baby change facilities located in the toilet block between the Garden Kiosk and Fairy Garden.
- No ticket is required to access the Retail Plant Nursery, Rod’s Garden Shop or the Gift Shop.
- A ticket is required to access the gardens, cafe & kiosk.
- No dogs are allowed in the gardens except for guide dogs.
- No alcohol is allowed.
- The paths are mostly flat with some slopes, however, the car park may pose difficulties for people with limited mobility. They do have special designated spots though, but these may be full at peak times.
- You can hire a wheelchair for free but it is better to contact them prior to your visit to reserve one.
- Pets, drones, pushbikes, skateboards, rollerblades, skates and scooters are not allowed in the gardens.
The Blue Lotus Water Gardens just over an hour drive from Melbourne are an inspirational place for everyone, and are one of Australia’s best water gardens. So, share this location with your friends and family!
Kids under 16 y.o. go free!
You may also like these kids' and family activities
School holiday camps: 9-10 Jan; 10 Jan; 18 Jan; 18-19 Jan; 22-23 Jan; 23 Jan 2024
Take your family on an adventure to Steavenson Falls, Marysville VIC! Enjoy a scenic, easy walk to the lookout. Perfect for exploring with the kids!
Bruno’s Art and Sculpture Garden in Marysville VIC is a beautiful accessible park near Melbourne and a great place to take the kids!
Free for kids under 5 y.o.
One of the best family friendly parks with a kids playground, picnic and BBQ area, off leash dog park and more fun activities in Lilydale.
Beautiful place with forest walking trails and incredible views over the Maroondah lake catchment. Family and kids friendly park outside of Melbourne.