Pohatu Sea Kayaking and Scenic 4WD Safari
Pick-up from Akaroa with a Scenic 4WD ride
Get active with a guided sea-kayaking tour
Spectacular landscape views and photo opportunities
Knowledgable tour guide
See the Little Penguin colony in their natural habitat
Visit areas only accessible by accredited tour groups
- Akaroa pickup within a comfortable 4WD van
- Scenic drive to Pohatu
- Kayak, paddle, splash jacket and life vest
- Knowledgeable tour guide
- Hotel transfers to Akaroa meeting point
- Pick-up from Akaroa with a memorable scenic 4WD transfer to Pohatu
- Soak in the ambience along your drive with spectacular photo opportunities and meet the local sheep who thrive on attention and enjoy a little tickle
- After your scenic journey get active with a guided sea-kayaking tour within the Pohatu Marine Reserve
- Witness the dramatic volcanic headlands and lush landscapes
- Row towards the towering sea cliffs and feel tiny as an ant
- Absorb the history of the sea walls which have been sculpted by the sea into rock stacks, reefs, and deep sea caves over hundreds of years
- Keep your eyes peeled the playful pods of dolphins
- By spending time within this area you are helping the preservation of these beautiful birds for future generations. Your personal gift to the Penguins
- Tour departs daily at 12pm, subject to availability
- Tour length is approximately two and a half to three hours
- Trips depart from the Wildside Booking office, unit 2, 8 Rue Balguerie which can be found behind the BNZ bank next to the Anglican Church
What To Bring
- Bottled water
- A change of clothing as sometimes clothing can get damp despite the use of the quality provided spray jackets
- Comfortable shoes, these may get damp
- Please wear comfortable non restrictive clothing
- Optional wind and waterproof jacket
- In summer it is advisable to either eat before you come on an evening tour or bring some food with you as often restaurants will be closed on our return to Akaroa
- This activity may not be suitable for young children. 11 years old and over is a recommendation, however suitability is subject to each independent child
- Tour guides on the day will be sole judges if this activity is suitable for your children, depending on weather and sea conditions. If the guides deem this unsuitable a 50% refund will be offered or the option of joining our Full Scenic Nature Safari
Terms And Conditions
- Minimum of two adults and a maximum of sixteen participants per trip.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- A $20 service charge applies to all cancellation refunds
- No refunds within 24 hours of departure unless the Operator cancels the activity due to waterway, road or weather conditions
- If a kayaking trip has to be cancelled because of an unexpected wind change or tsunami warning on arrival at Pohatu after the scenic 4WD van safari has been undertaken two options would be offered. An immediate return with a 50% refund and no further wildlife guiding can be expected to see penguins or other wildlife or venture on the Full Scenic Nature Safari tour
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!