Pelorus Sound Mail Run Cruise from Havelock
Full day mail boat cruise from Havelock
Deliver mail to the locals
Look out for abundant marine life
One of the last genuine mail boats in the world
Complimentary tea & coffee onboard
Join the Pelorus Sound ‘sea postie’ on a full day Marlborough Sounds cruise onboard the Pelorus Mail Boat from Havelock. Delivering post since 1918, the Pelorus Mail Boat is a historic experience combining scenery, wildlife and local stories on a 5-6 hour cruise. Discover remote jetties and beaches as you cruise the Pelorus Sound mail boat’s route, with the chance to greet locals and furry friends along the way.
Pelorus Sound and Kenepuru Sound is the largest and most untouched part of the Marlborough Sounds in New Zealand’s South Island. Departing from Havelock Marlborough, the Pelorus mail run begins just a 30 minute drive from Blenheim or 1 hour from Nelson. After checking in at the Havelock Marina, embark on the Pelorus Mail Boat cruise to deliver mail, parcels and supplies to residents who live far off the beaten track.
Throughout the Pelorus Mail Boat cruise, the local crew offer a fascinating commentary on the history of the Marlborough Sounds and life in this far-flung area of New Zealand. Enjoy a complimentary tea or coffee onboard, while admiring the scenery and keeping an eye out for marine wildlife such as dolphins, penguins, seals and stingrays. At midday, the Pelorus Mail Boat makes a stop for lunch, so be sure to bring your own picnic to tuck into by a secluded bay or remote farm. Depending on the day’s delivery route, you may also have the chance to go on a beautiful bush walk, cruise past a king shag colony or visit a mussel farm.
- Monday route (The Eastern): Black Point, Whatanihi, Inner Pelorus Sound, Nydia Bay, Hopewell Lodge, Jacobs Bay, Homewood, Hopai Bay, Crail Bay and Four Fathom Bay
- Wednesday route (The Western): Paradise Point, Nydia Bay, Northwest Bay, Tira Ora Bay, Wilson Bay, Maud Island, Jacobs Bay and Homewood
- Friday route (Outer Sounds): Inner Pelorus Sound, Pohuenui Island, Whakatahuri, Forsyth Island, Port Ligar, Bulwer, Homewood, Waitata Bay and Hopewell Lodge
- 5-6 hour Pelorus mail run
- Expert commentary from local crew
- Complimentary tea & coffee onboard
- Allow 6 hours
- Departs from Havelock Marina - Pier B
- Operates Monday, Wednesday & Friday all year
- Child rates apply (5-15yrs)
- Infants (0-4yrs) travel free of charge
- Lunch is not included in this tour, please bring your own picnic lunch
- Please bring a packed lunch, sunscreen, hat, camera, a warm later & swimwear
- There are cafes, a bakery & supermarket in Havelock if you need to purchase picnic supplies beforehand
- Minimum numbers required for tour to go ahead
- Paid car park available when you arrive at Havelock Marina
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
10 Amazing Gold Coast Play Centres To Visit This Summer
Discover the top Gold Coast indoor playgrounds and outdoor play centres perfect for families with kids and teens seeking fun and adventure.
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!