Fox or Franz Josef Glacier 20 minute Helicopter Flight
20 minute flight
Land on either the Franz Josef or Fox Glaciers
Select your departure location
Fly with a company that has over 27 years of experience operating in NZ's alpine environment
Professional trained staff offering commentary
View the incredible natural phenomenon of the glaciers
- From sea level rising to the heart of the magnificent Southern Alps, this flight explores the icefalls on either the Franz Josef or Fox Glaciers. Experience the seclusion of a snow landing in this largely inaccessible alpine region.
- The Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers are constantly moving. On this flight, which glacier we land on and where is dictated by daily movement of the ice formations and the weather patterns that these vast areas of ice impact. Please select your departure location at the time of booking.
- Flights operate almost every 30 minutes between 8am and 5.50pm and are subject to weather and availability
- During Winter months (May-September), flight times are 11am and 1pm
- Check in is one hour prior to departure time
- This is approximately a 20 minute flight and includes a snow landing.
- Departs and returns from The Helicopter Line Base:
- Franz Josef Base is situated on the Main Road (State Highway 6), Franz Josef Glacier
- Fox Glacier Base is situated on the Main Road, SH6, Fox Glacier
- On all scenic flights, minimum numbers apply of 3 passengers. Individual bookings may be combined if neccessary to achieve minimum numbers.
- Glacier Helicopters carry a maximum of six passengers per flight.
- On occasion, map routes may change at the pilots' discretion. We will keep you informed of any changes to the published information.
- A child is 4-14 years. Infants up to 3 years are FOC and are required to sit on an adult's knee. Children must be accompanied by a fee paying adult.
- Should inclement weather prevent a flight at the booked location, the same prepaid voucher will be accepted at any of the aviation bases for a flight of similar duration and price.
- Customers wanting to make changes to dates or time of departure are required to contact the relevant operating base by 9.00am on the day of departure.
- No refund will be given for no shows or changes made less than 48 hours prior to departure.
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!