Mitchell Falls, Kimberley WA
Explore the stunning Mitchell Falls, Kimberley: Aboriginal rock art, Mitchell Falls Walk, wildlife & swim in Little Mertens Falls & Big Mertens Falls
This 80m falls is a must-see for families with older kids
Great for hiking, swimming & discovering Aboriginal rock art
Swimming is not allowed in Mitchell Falls
Swim in Little Mertens Falls and Big Mertens Falls nearby
The closest toilets are at Mitchell Falls Campground
If you're on the Broome & Kimberley holidays WA, Mitchell Falls is one of the best places to take the school kids and teens on a breathtaking journey!
This spectacular destination in the Kimberley Region of Western Australia is a must-see for families with older kids to explore, learn more about Aboriginal culture, take in the breathtaking views of the falls and create lasting memories.
Located in the Mitchell River National Park, Mitchell Falls, WA, is an 80 m / 262 ft nature wonder. However, there is so much more to explore at the park!
You can take the moderate-graded 8 km (2.5-3 hrs return) Mitchell Falls Walk near Mitchell Plateau. This trail along the creek features a few river crossings, offers lots of wildlife and adventure and is great for hiking and walking.
On your way to see Mitchell Falls, you will discover the unique charm and beauty of:
- a stunning remote red rock wilderness area
- Aboriginal rock art, including some under Little Mertens Falls
- spectacular Little Mertens Falls
- magnificent Big Mertens Falls that are suitable for swimming.
Please note that there are no toilets at the Falls and on the trail. The closest toilets are at Mitchell Falls Campground.
With its endless outdoor activities, Mitchell Falls is the ultimate destination for families looking for a great outdoor adventure in the Kimberley Region, WA.
Safety at Mitchell Falls, Australia:
- Consider travelling with a personal location beacon
- Stay back from the cliff edges
- There's no drinking water on the trail
- Wear sunscreen, long sleeves, a hat and sturdy footwear
- Crocodiles are common in this area. Check out this Crocodile safety fact sheet.
Mitchell Falls permit
You'll need to purchase the Uunguu Visitor Pass for Mitchell River National Park. The permit cost is $15.00 per car (12 or fewer occupants) / $8.00 per vehicle (concession)
Mitchell Falls swimming
Swimming is not allowed in Mitchell Falls as there could be saltwater crocodiles present. However, you can swim along the walking trail in Little Mertens Falls and Big Mertens Falls.
Mitchell Falls dogs
Dogs are not allowed at the park.
Mitchell Falls wet season
Generally considered from 01 October to 30 April. However, between December and March is the time when about 90% of the annual rainfall happens.
Mitchell Falls dry season
01 May - 30 September
Camping at Mitchell Falls Campground
You don't have to book your stay at Mitchell Falls Camping Ground. They operate on a first-come, first-served basis. The campground can be busy during the WA school holidays. Check out the camping fees here.
How to get to Mitchell Falls, WA:
- Mitchell Falls - Kununurra: 540 km / 9-hour drive via Port Warrender Rd
- Mitchell Falls - Gibb River Road: 300 km / 5.5-hour drive via Port Warrender Rd
- Broome to Mitchell Falls: 870 km / 13-hour drive via National Highway 1 and Derby Hwy
- Derby to Mitchell Falls: 660 km / 11-hour drive via Derby Hwy and Derby-Gibb River Rd
Planning your next school holiday adventure? Discover Australia’s most beautiful waterfalls to visit with your family!
A very special thank you to Daniel Wolff, Robert Varga and Nicholas McNamara for providing the amazing images.