Whale Watching Cruise Kaikoura
3.5 hour round trip
3 Departures daily
Comfortable, air-conditioned vessel
View Sperm Whales & other marine life
Sea Blue, Fin, Sei, Humpback, Minke, Pilot, Orca
One of the country's best whale watching tour companies
Captains Cabin can only seat a maximum of 12 passengers
- Air conditioned vessel with comfortable seating and large plasma screens for marine wildlife animations
- Whale Watch coach transfer to harbor
- Viewing of Giant Sperm Whales
- Opportunity to see other marine mammals such as Blue, Fin, Sei, Humpback, Minke, Pilot, Orca and Southern Right Whales, Common Dolphins, Bottlenose Dolphins, Elephant Seals and Leopard Seals
- We do not offer food or refreshments onboard, however, please feel free to bring a light snack or cold drinks along with you which can be purchased at the Flukes Cafe. A water fountain is available onboard
- Each tour is a unique experience and the sightings vary. The Giant Sperm Whale is the star of the show and is resident in the area all year round. In addition to the Sperm Whale, a number of different species of whale have been sighted off our coastline, including Blues, Humpbacks, Rights and Orca. As well as sighting whales, a typical trip will cruise by colonies of New Zealand Fur Seals and perhaps take in groups of dolphins. In addition to the marine mammals, Kaikoura has a wide variety of off-shore birds. These include Albatross, Shearwaters, Petrels, Gulls, Penguins and Gannets
- All year: 7.15am, 10.00am, 10:30am, 12.45pm
- Please select your preferred departure time upon booking
- More tours may be available during the peak season. If the time you have selected is not available, the nearest time will be allocated for you
- The actual time on the water is up to 2.5 hours. Including check-in time and transfer by bus, you should allow 3.5 hours in total
- Our reservations office is located at the Whaleway Station, Kaikoura. This is the check-in point
- Please click here to view the road status and travel time information
- There is a 95% sighting rate, in the event that your tour does not see a whale, we will refund 85% of your fare
- Wheelchair friendly
- Children under the age of 3 will not be able to participate in this activity
- Please note each tour is a unique experience and the sightings vary. The Giant Sperm Whale is the star of the show and is resident in the area all year round. In addition to the Sperm Whale, a number of different species of whale have been sighted off our coastline, including Blues, Humpbacks, Rights and Orca. As well as sighting whales, a typical trip will cruise by colonies of New Zealand Fur Seals and perhaps take in groups of dolphins, depending on the season. In addition to the marine mammals, Kaikoura has a wide variety of off-shore birds. These include Albatross, Shearwaters, Petrels, Gulls, Penguins and Gannets
- Your safety and comfort are of paramount importance to us. If the conditions are not suitable, we will cancel the tour. Passengers, who are travelling to join us on the day of their tour, are advised to telephone the free phone number for a conditions update (available on your tour voucher)
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Upon completion of your booking, you will need to phone the operator to advise of your preferred trip time
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!