The Grand Traverse Scenic Flight from Franz Josef
Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers
The Aoraki Mount Cook National Park
The Westland Tai Poutini National Park
200 km of breathtaking scenery
Guaranteed window seating
Approximately 50 minutes flying time
- 50 Minute scenic flight over two World Heritage National Parks (The Aoraki Mount Cook National Park & The Westland Tai Poutini National Park)
- Guaranteed window seating
- Inflight commentary
- Multi-language flight guide
- Complementary transport between the Franz Josef office and the airport
- Hotel transfers
- The aircraft are ideal for New Zealand’s conditions, offering a window seat for every passenger and have wings-above to ensure unobstructed viewing below
- Our spectacular west coast rainforests, home to some of our endangered Kiwi birds
- The Tasman Sea and over 200 kms of coastline with our coastal river systems
- The Aoraki Mount Cook National Park – a magical world of permanent ice and snow
- New Zealand’s highest mountains and largest glaciers – including Aoraki Mount Cook and the Tasman Glacier
- The Westland Tai Poutini National Park encompassing the magnificent Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers spilling down to the rainforests of the west coast
- Flights operate daily except Christmas Day 25 December
- At the completion of purchase, you will need to contact the tour operator to book in a flight time that suits you (Tour Operator details will be printed in your tour voucher)
- Please check in at the operator's office in Franz Josef village at least 15 minutes before your scheduled flight time
- The Grand Traverse is approximately 50 minutes flying time. Allow one hour total duration
- If your flight is postponed or cancelled due to weather you will be able to reschedule your flight or receive a full refund
- It is wise to take a sweater or jacket, sunglasses and of course your camera. Large bags can be left with our ground staff. For our helicopter alpine landing flights, suitable covered footwear will be required during winter months, as well as warmer clothing you feel appropriate such as gloves and a hat
- All aircraft are fitted with heaters which the pilot will use during our colder days. Fresh air vents are available above all seats for your use as required
- As our weather can be so changeable, we advise that you fly at the first available opportunity so as not to be disappointed if the weather changes while you are here. The lighting at different times of the day can have different effects allowing for some great photo opportunities. However, as our flights encompass a large area and we make lots of gentle turns, great photo opportunities will present themselves to everyone who flies with us at any time of the day
- There is always snow on the larger mountains around the Southern Alps, and of course Mt Cook and Mt Tasman, and all of the larger mountains in the area above 9000 feet above sea level. During the cooler and winter months, snow can be all the way down to the MacKenzie basin around Lake Tekapo, and near the foothills on the west coast
- Our modern fleet of various sized aircraft range from 7 to 15 passengers. Choice of aircraft is based on group sizes and flight requirements. Our Gippsland Airvans take maximum 7 passengers; our Cessna Grand Caravan maximum 13 passengers; and our GAF Nomads maximum 15 passengers
- Infants - Depending on the number of adults, children, and infants in your group, there will normally be no problem catering for an infant. Very young infants will sit on an adults lap with a separate lap restraint provided by your pilot. Your pilot will advise on suitability of flight conditions, and which children will need to occupy a seat
- Expectant mothers - We advise you follow professional advice from a doctor where appropriate; however this has not been an issue for us in the past
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
You may also like these kids' and family activities
Grab a ticket to the best wildlife park in New Zealand's West Coast region - the West Coast Wildlife Centre - and see NZ's iconic bird, the Kiwi, up close! Free for kids under 5 years of age.
Swim with Dolphins with Black Cat Cruises in Akaroa near Christchurch. An unforgettable natural encounter with the world's friendliest Hector's Dolphins.
If the Abel Tasman National Park is in your must-see list then a scenic cruise through the region is your ideal trip.
Take a ride on this adventure park chairlift to see beautiful native flora and fauna and panoramic views of Christchurch city, Pacific Ocean and the Alps. Suitable for 4+ years old.
Take a nature cruise around the pristine waters of Akaroa, see the rare, New Zealand Hector’s Dolphin, the world’s smallest dolphin, fur seals and penguins! Free for children under the age of 5 years.
Read the latest stories from our blog
Get inspired with the best school holiday programs, thrilling events for kids and an array of free school holiday activities curated just for your little ones. Explore and enjoy!
Discover The Best Brisbane Indoor Play Centres for Endless Family Fun!
Explore our top picks for Brisbane's indoor play centres: trampolines, laser tag, climbing gyms and more exciting activities for toddlers to teenagers.
School Holiday Ideas
20+ Unmissable Best Things To Do In Auckland With Kids
Explore the best things to do in Auckland with kids: fun, free, affordable indoor and outdoor family adventures, from Waitomo Caves to Auckland Zoo and beyond!
16 Amazing Christmas Gift Ideas For Music Lovers In 2023
Looking for unique Christmas gift ideas for music lovers and musicians? Find best gifts for music lovers, that aren't just headphones or bluetooth speakers!