Learn to surf with Ocean Heroes through our public events or one-on-one private lessons
All children deserve the opportunity to learn social skills, bond with others, and figure out what works for them.
Kids growing up with autism face unique challenges that can make it difficult for them to develop self-confidence and make friends. Learning to surf offers a fun, healthy way for children to develop that confidence, boost their mood and make connections with others. That’s why Ocean Heroes was formed by Sam Moyle, Luke Hallam and Tom Johnston, who teamed up to get it off the ground in 2016.
We provide an opportunity for children on the autistic spectrum to take part in organised sport backed by a highly supported, safe and inclusive environment. By running events and one-on-one surfing lessons, we offer every kid the chance to experience the thrill of riding a wave.
Ocean Heroes public events
At Ocean Heroes events we take safety seriously, and every child surfing at one of our public events will have access to a 30-minute one-on-one session, along with support from a host of volunteers. Be the first to hear about when we are running our next session by signing up for our newsletter today! This is the best way to guarantee a spot, as lesson spots fill up fast!
Private one-on-one surfing
We also run 60 minute private, one-on-one surf experiences year round (weather permitting). Currently, private lessons are only available in Perth. Contact us directly to book a session.
Here are the nitty-gritty details
What to bring
- Bottle of water
- Goggles (only if your child needs them)
- Wet suits
- Life jackets
- Surf Instructor and Good vibes.
- Public events - 100% free! At the beginning, we promised to ourselves to always keep our events free of charge, therefore making the opportunity to go surfing equal to all!
- Private lessons - For those who require private one-on-one sessions, there is a fee - contact us today to discuss your options.
- Public events - Each child is allocated a full 30 minute, one-on-one surf experience as part of the event.
- Private lessons - Our private one-on-one lessons run for an hour.
- NameSam Moyle