Fox or Franz Josef Glacier 20 minute Helicopter Flight
What you need to know
Feel the rush of flying over the low-lying Franz Josef Glacier or Fox Glacier and their many icefalls on this exhilarating helicopter flight! The Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers are constantly moving. On this flight, which glacier we land on and where is dictated by daily movement of the ice formations and the weather patterns that these vast areas of ice impact.
After the flight through this isolated region, experience the thrill of a snow landing in the largely inaccessible alpine region. Next, you encounter the glacier firsthand by taking a guided walk along it. The scenic flight and landing lasts approximately 20 minutes, but the memory of the Fox or Franz Josef Glacier Snow Landing Helicopter Flight will last forever!
- From sea level rising to the heart of the magnificent Southern Alps, this flight explores the icefalls on either the Franz Josef or Fox Glaciers. Experience the seclusion of a snow landing in this largely inaccessible alpine region.
- The Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers are constantly moving. On this flight, which glacier we land on and where is dictated by daily movement of the ice formations and the weather patterns that these vast areas of ice impact. Please select your departure location at the time of booking.
- Flights operate almost every 30 minutes between 8am and 5.50pm and are subject to weather and availability
- During Winter months (May-September), flight times are 11am and 1pm
- Check in is one hour prior to departure time
- This is approximately a 20 minute flight and includes a snow landing.
- Departs and returns from The Helicopter Line Base:
- Franz Josef Base is situated on the Main Road (State Highway 6), Franz Josef Glacier
- Fox Glacier Base is situated on the Main Road, SH6, Fox Glacier
- A courtesy coach is available to pick up and drop off for passengers that are not walking distance to town or for passengers with disabilities
- On all scenic flights, minimum numbers apply of 3 passengers. Individual bookings may be combined if neccessary to achieve minimum numbers.
- Glacier Helicopters carry a maximum of six passengers per flight.
- On occasion, map routes may change at the pilots' discretion. We will keep you informed of any changes to the published information.
- A child is 4-14 years. Infants up to 3 years are FOC and are required to sit on an adult's knee. Children must be accompanied by a fee paying adult.
- Should inclement weather prevent a flight at the booked location, the same prepaid voucher will be accepted at any of the aviation bases for a flight of similar duration and price.
- Customers wanting to make changes to dates or time of departure are required to contact the relevant operating base by 9.00am on the day of departure.
- No refund will be given for no shows or changes made less than 48 hours prior to departure.
Confirmation in the form of an e-voucher will be sent to your email at the time of purchase. Although we do our best to deliver it instantly, occasionally, this may take up to 6 hours for the e-voucher to be delivered. For any queries, please get in touch with us . We're always happy to help.