Tongariro Crossing Guided Day Walk
What you need to know
Long considered one of New Zealand's best walks, the Tongariro Crossing is a must-do while in the Central North Island of NZ. Only one hours drive from Taupo, this Tongariro Crossing walk is an all-inclusive 7 to 8 hour trek across a blend of beautifully rugged terrain accompanied by experienced, friendly guides who will show you the ropes and ensure your safety while you take in all its charms. With a distance of 19 kilometres in total, this walk is challenging and requires a reasonable amount of fitness, however its rewards are more than fulfilling - see rich national park lands, dramatic mountain peaks, and moon-like craters far below.
If you have even a passing interest in hiking, this Tongariro Crossing hike will be one of the most rewarding experiences in New Zealand - it's annually ranked amongst the top 10 single day treks in the world, so don't miss out!
- Professional and experienced guide/s,
- Crampons and ice axe (in Winter)
- Return transport from Turangi or National Park Village
- Additional footwear and clothing (if required)
- A delightful post-trip refreshment
- Lunch (Summer trips only)
- Crampons and Ice Axes provided
Taupo pick-ups are not included. Taupo pick ups are available all year, this is not included in the price and is $75pp with a min of 2 pax required.
Times and Departure Point
Taupo - Accommodation pick-ups are available or come to our Taupo Base at 77 Spa Road. Meeting time is 6.00 am. Street parking is available on the corner of Spa Road and Taniwha Street, Taupo.
Turangi - Accommodation pick-ups are available or from the Turangi I-site. Meeting time is 7.30am. Please advise us the day prior to your trip if you require any additional gear ie. boots, waterproof trousers etc.
National Park Village - Meeting place is Adrift Base 3 Waimarino-Tokaanu Rd, National Park Village. Meeting time is 7.00am.
Whakapapa Village - Accommodation pick-ups are available during summer. Meeting times are 8.00-8.30 am.
The walk commences at 8.30am and returns at 4.30pm.
Walking time is approximately 7- 8hours.
Summer: 1 November - 31 May
Winter: 1 June - 31 Octover
- 1000 metre climb and descent over an alpine pass
- 19km trek
- Photo opportunities
What to Bring
The following items are required in winter and we have these available if you do not have your own:
- Sturdy boots suitable for crampons
- Thermal longs and walking trousers (no jeans please)
- Waterproof trousers
- 3 warm top layers (thermal, wool, fleece, soft shell are good fabrics. Cotton is not suitable)
- Waterproof jacket
- Warm hat and gloves
You will need to also bring: Sunscreen, lunch, water, blister protection and personal medications ie. ashma inhaler.
The following items are required in summer and we have these available if you do not have your own:
- Tramping boots or sturdy tramping shoes
- Thermal longs and walking trousers (no jeans please!) and/or waterproof over-trousers
- 2 warm top layers (thermal, wool, fleece, polyprop, soft shells are good fabrics). Cotton is not suitable
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat
You will need to also bring - Sunscreen, Water 1-1.5 litres, Personal medications e.g. asthma inhaler
A medium to high level of fitness is required.
Prices are based on a minimum of 2 people (excluding the Winter Tongariro Alpine Crossing Group rate - minimum 4 pax per trip). Single customers will be accepted upon availability with a surcharge. If possible and agreeable, single customers will be placed into a group, with no surcharge.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The from price displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
Tongariro Crossing Guided Day Walk53 Carroll Street, National Park, NZ 3948