Sydney Opera House Tour
What you need to know
Go behind the scenes of one of the world's most famous icons with a guided Sydney Opera House tour and explore possibly the most recognisable building Australia has to offer. Designed by Danish Architect Jørn Utzon, this UNESCO World Heritage-listed site boasts a unique design, adding to its allure. This architecturally exquisite building is located on the edge of the Harbour, surrounded by other world famous icons such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Hailed as “one of the indisputable masterpieces of human creativity, not only in the 20th century but in the history of humankind”, with one glance, it's not hard to discover why.
Step inside the Opera House and you'll be mesmerised by the furnishings and decorations that line the interior of the building, adding to its sophistication and charm. Hosting approximately 1600 entertainment events annually including operas, dramas and ballets, viewing one of these shows in the hallowed theatres is a must. Take a seat in the custom made white birch timber chairs, run your hands over the world-famous shell tiles, or simply gaze at the vaulted ceilings of one of the worlds biggest pillar-free chambers, all this and more is possible in this fantastic tour.
In this one hour tour you'll be hosted by your knowledgeable guide, who will educate you with impressive facts of this unmissable building, including the architectural and entertainment history. Tours run from 9am to 5pm daily (subject to availability), providing you with the freedom to fit this tour into any itinerary. Whilst this is an English speaking tour, there are Chinese speaking tours available to better suit some guests. As there are over 200 stairs to climb throughout the tour, those with limited mobility are advised to book the 12pm Access Tour. For an insight into the magic of this great Australian icon, this tour is a must.
- 1 Hour Sydney Opera House tour (English)
- When the Sydney Opera House became a UNESCO World Heritage-listed site in 2007, it was hailed as “one of the indisputable masterpieces of human creativity, not only in the 20th century but in the history of humankind”. Now it’s your turn to step inside this iconic landmark and discover the stories behind Danish architect Jørn Utzon’s remarkable achievement. What inspired him to base his revolutionary design on ships’ sails? How did he solve an engineering challenge considered one of the most difficult attempted anywhere in the world? You’ll find out on this very special one-hour guided tour into the intricate workings of a living, breathing Opera House
- You will explore the hallowed theatres and foyers where more than 1600 concerts, operas, dramas and ballets take place each year and your experienced guide will be on hand to lead you through every aspect of the building’s 14-year creation and 58-year history. You’ll run your hands over the world-famous shell tiles, take a seat in the elegant custom-made white birch timber chairs and marvel at the vaulted ceilings of one of the biggest pillar-free chambers in the world
- Once you’ve visited areas off limits to the general public and captured photographs from rare vantage points inside the majestic Sydney Opera House, you’ll realise that from the outside you’re only getting half the story
- Tours run daily from 9am-5pm. Once you have received your voucher, please call the tour operator to book a tour time (Tour operator details will be printed on your voucher)
- Tours go for approx 1 hour
- Chinese speaking tours are also available. If you would like to book a Chinese tour, please call 07 5592 2233
- There are over 200 stairs included on the tour; if you have limited mobility there is a daily 12pm Access Tour. If you would like to book an Access Tour, please call 07 5592 2233 to confirm availability
- Please note bags larger than a standard handbag will need to be cloaked on arrival and may be subject to a search before being cloaked. It is not possible to store suitcases or large backpacks within the Sydney Opera House cloaking facilities. Please arrive 15 minutes early in order to allow sufficient time for this to occur before your tour
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
Sydney Opera House TourBennelong Point, Sydney, NSW 2000