Stewart Island Ferry from Bluff
What you need to know
The Stewart Island Ferry makes reaching this great New Zealand location for a day excursion or extended stay a breeze! With a ticket for the ferry you'll hop aboard a modern, comfortable express catamaran for a one-hour crossing of the Foveaux Strait during which you'll have the chance to spot a range of wildlife and sit back to listen to our staff's informative commentary as they point out the region's highlights.
Highlights & Inclusions
- Express catamarans operate between Bluff and Stewart Island for the ferry service across Foveaux Strait all year round
- Interpretation handouts are available
- Complimentary tea and coffee is available on board all vessels
- Commentaries by the skipper provide information on the landmarks and wildlife
- All vessels are wheelchair accessible
- Coach transfers
- Personal baggage is carried free on the ferries - maximum of two bags per person (one stowed and one small carry-on).
- For visitors to Stewart Island wishing to bring additional baggage, the transport of these items is by prior arrangement. This service is not available on all ferry departures, due to the size of the vessel and the limited cargo space available.
- 9.30am departure operates all year round. However from 1 June - 30 September, it only operates on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays
- 4.30pm from 1 May - 30 Sept
- 5.00pm from 1 Oct - 30 Apr
- Bluff Visitor Terminal, 21 Foreshore Road, Bluff
- Passengers are required to check-in to the Bluff Visitor Terminals 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Check-in and boarding gates are closed 15 minutes before scheduled ferry departure times.
- The limit is a maximum of two small carry-on pieces of luggage per person. Other luggage (and extra goods by arrangement) are carried in freight boxes, and must be checked in 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time (at additional cost).
- Secure undercover parking and secure outdoor vehicle parking is available in Bluff adjacent to the ferry terminal. Parking is available for cars, coaches and motor homes and boat trailers. See below for parking rates:
- Meals, coach connections, flights, overnight cruises, underwater observatory and departures other than those listed are not included
- Stewart Island Experience reserve the right to amend timetables, substitute plant or equipment and alter ticket prices at any time
- Stewart Island Experience departures are weather/sea conditions dependent
- Stewart Island Experience Ferry Services luggage is limited to two bags per person (one stowed and one small carry- on – extra goods by arrangement)
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The from price displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
Stewart Island Ferry from BluffMain Wharf, Oban, NZ 9818