Ulva Island Explorer Cruise and Guided Walk
What you need to know
This leisurely cruise of Stewart Island's beautiful Paterson Inlet its a charming experience full of nature and wildlife that will let you view hidden coves and unspoilt beaches as you discover the area's wonderful highlights from the comfort of the water. Your skipper and nature guide on board will teach you of the histories of both the early Maoris and European settlements in the region, including that of whaling and its effect on the local ecology and will be happy to answer any questions you may have throughout.
Once we reach Ulva Island, we'll disembark and visit this renowned wildlife sanctuary for a 45-minute guided walk accompanied by a specialist nature guide who will introduce you to the many rare plants and rich birdlife which the island is famous for. Once we re-board the ship you'll be able to relax for the remainder of the Paterson Inlet cruise and soak in the coastal scenery before we return to our base.
- Paterson Inlet cruise departing Stewart Island
- 45 minute Guided Walk on Ulva Island Wildlife Sanctuary
- Opportunity to see some native rare birdlife such as the Weka, Saddlebacks and Yellowheads
- On board nature guide
- No lunch. Add on available after purchase.
- Enjoy a leisurely cruise of beautiful Paterson Inlet viewing hidden coves and unspoilt beaches. Along the way learn about the early Maori history and European settlement including whaling. Our skipper and nature guide provide detailed commentary throughout the cruise and are happy to answer any questions
- Then disembark at Ulva Island, a renowned wildlife sanctuary for a 45-minute guided walk with a specialist nature guide. View rare plants and rich birdlife, including the inquisitive weka, which are often seen on the beach
- For the remainder of the cruise around Paterson Inlet, relax on board our modern catamaran and enjoy the coastal scenery before heading back to base
- On board, keep a look out for fur seals and penguins – we see a lot of them around this area.
- The cruise will showcase some of Paterson Inlet’s stunning scenery with its hidden coves and unspoilt beaches
- Paterson Inlet is home to renowned wildlife sanctuary Ulva Island and we’ll stop there for a 45 minute guided walk
- Paterson Inlet Cruise departs at 12.45pm and returns at 3.15pm between 1 Oct - 30 Apr
- In the month of May & September the cruise departs at 12noon and returns at 2.45pm
- Sandwich, fresh fruit, muesli slice/piece of cake, cheese and crackers, fruit drink, dried fruits (raisins, berries, etc.), complimentary tea and coffee. If you require a vegetarian lunch, or have any special dietary needs, please call the tour operator to advise once you have received your voucher (Their contact phone number will be printed on your voucher)
- Please order your lunch when you make your booking. Lunch contents may vary
What To Bring
- Non-slip shoes/boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Warm sweater/fleece jacket
- Insect repellent
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The from price displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
Confirmation in the form of an e-voucher will be sent to your email at the time of purchase. Although we do our best to deliver it instantly, occasionally, this may take up to 6 hours for the e-voucher to be delivered. For any queries, please get in touch with us . We're always happy to help.