Tamaki Maori Cultural Experience with 3 Course Dinner
What you need to know
Visit an authentic Maori village in the midst of Rotorua’s ancient Tawa forest and immerse yourself in the colourful culture on the Tamaki Maori Cultural Experience. Explore the village, listen to the stories, learn of the rituals and traditions, discover the art forms, watch the song and dance performances and indulge in a traditional hangi dinner with your Maori hosts.
You first enjoy a coach scenic drive from your accommodations to the fortified village, learning of the interesting Maori legends; also during this drive to the Tawa forest, you and your fellow guests must assign a Chief to represent the group, an honourable task and title in Maoridom. When you arrive, you cannot enter beyond the village’s outskirts until the Powhiri, a formal welcome ceremony has been performed. After several intimidating haka challenges between village warriors, your Chief will place a peace offering at your feet and you are welcomed to listen to the Karanga, a welcome call, and watch the Powhiri, a welcome dance.
Step back in time, a time before the European settlement, and explore the Maori way of life, including the small dwellings, the arts and the songs; watch the women weaving, see the warriors training with traditional weapons and openly talk with the villagers about their heritage. You then watch your meal being cooked on hot under the earth at the authentic hangi pit. Your Chief and the guides dig your meal from the dirt and open the hessain sacks, revealing your delicious dinner that has been cooking for more than three hours. From here, you head to the sacred meeting house, where you admire a series of song and dance performances.
Next, sit down with the villagers and enjoy hot chicken and lamb, kumara, potatoes, carrots and delicious stuffing that were just pulled from the hangi pit. As well, feast on Maori bread, fresh salads and seafood, desserts and a range of other dishes. After dinner, sit around the bonfire and swap stories or wander the marketplace. Finally, your experience concludes with the Poroporoaki, a closing ceremony, before returning to your accommodations.
- 3 course traditional hangi dinner with your Maori hosts
- Return transfers to/from your Rotorua City or your accommodation.
- Learn about various art forms, traditions and ways of life for Maori
- The experience starts from 6.15pm all year round
- During the winter months and busy seasons, the experience also starts from 5pm
- During busy seasons, the experience also starts from 7.30pm
- 3.5 Hours
- The Tamaki Maori Village is 15 minutes drive from our bookings & information office on the Rotorua-Taupo State Highway 5, however bookings are essential to visit our village during the evening.
- Authentic Maori village nestled in Rotorua forest
- Discover Maori art forms
- Ancient rituals and traditions
- Experience thrilling song and dance
- Learn about the great Maori migration
- A formal welcome ceremony
- See warriors training for war with traditional weapons
Hangi Feast Menu
- The traditional hangi has been steaming under the earth on hot rocks for a number of hours, ready for your arrival!
- Enjoy succulent New Zealand meats with a lovely, slightly-smoked flavour and fresh vegetables. As well as hangi, you will enjoy Maori bread, fresh salads and seafood, mouth-watering desserts and more
- Feast on as much as you like – it is our honour to fill your belly and your heart with our traditional Maori hospitality!
- Vegetarians are happily catered for upon request – just let us know when you book.
- Rewana Bread
- Traditional Hangi
- Hangi cooked meats – Prime New Zealand Lamb & Chicken
- Hangi cooked vegetables - potatoes, Kumara, carrots
- Steamed NZ green lip mussels
- Fresh fish cooked in garlic and butter sauce
- Condiments – gravy, mint sauce, cranberry sauce
- Green Garden Salad
- Pasta Salad
- Pavlova with kiwifruit
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Hangi Steamed Pudding
- Fresh Cream
- What do we need to wear? Comfortable, casual clothing is fine! In winter months, bring a nice warm coat
- Can we drive ourselves out to the village? Yes of course - and we can give you easy directions. However, we do recommend the coach journey out to the village entrance – you’ll really enjoy it! We are well known for this part of the experience – you’ll learn about our history, stories and village protocol on the way – and have a good laugh too!
- Is our Hangi cooked under the ground? Absolutely – this is the age-old, authentic Maori Hangi. You will witness your meal being lifted from the ground, steamed to perfection and mouth-wateringly good!
- Is it cheaper if we do not take the Tamaki transport? No, it is all included in the cost; therefore the cost remains the same
- Can I bring and use my camera or video? Absolutely – you are welcome to do so!
- Is Tamaki Maori Village Rotorua Wheelchair accessible? Yes, absolutely
- Is Tamaki Maori Village Rotorua suitable for children? Yes, children find the entire experience fascinating and entertaining. Infants may visit for free, and we also have high chairs available
- Are international student ID's accepted for student rate? Yes, absolutely
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the tour
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- If cancellation is made within 7 days of the booking, 50% of the total booking amount will be charged
- If cancellation is made within 48 hours of the booking, 75% of the total booking amount will be charged
- If cancellation is made within 24 hours of the booking 100% of total booking will be charged
Tamaki Maori Cultural Experience with 3 Course Dinner1220 Hinemaru St, Rotorua, ROT 3040