Rotorua Hangi Lunch and Maori Concert
What you need to know
Whakarewarewa is a living geothermal village in Rotorua, a visit here is like stepping back in time to experience the traditional Maori way of life. With this package guests will enjoy a guided tour through Rotorua’s favourite thermal park to see the fascinating geothermal activity learn and how the indigenous Maori people utilize these natural hot pools for cooking and craft for hundreds of years.
A guided tour will take you on a journey through the Maori village to see its ancestral meeting houses, historic landmarks and buildings, see traditional Maori craft and of course explore the wondrous steaming lakes and bubbling mud pools around this incredible geothermal landscape. After a guided tour guests will enjoy an entertaining Maori cultural show, with traditional performances telling local Maori stories and legends through song and dance including the almighty Haka! To further enhance your traditional New Zealand cultural experience guests can savour the flavours of a traditional Maori ‘Hangi’ feast for lunch! A Hangi is a delicious meal cooked using geothermal steam in an earthen oven. The meal includes meats such as chicken and beef with kumara (sweet potato) vegetables and gravy with the famous steamed pudding with custard for dessert! You can do these three activities in any order - as stipulated in the description on your voucher. Experience the living treasure of Whakarewarewa Thermal Park in Rotorua for yourself with an all inclusive geothermal village tour, a Hangi lunch and Maori cultural show!
- Hourly tour
- Daily Cultural Show
- Traditional Hangi Lunch meal
- Corn on the cob- Parekohuru is the main cooking pool where you are able sample corn on the cob cooked in the pristine mineral pool
- Depart or explore our village and walking tracks with steaming lakes at your own leisure.
- Add a taste of Whakarewarewa with piece of Corn Cob cooked in the geothermal Hot pools to enhance your experience.
7 days per week: 8.30am – 5.00pm
Closed Christmas Day
- Arrive at Whakarewarewa and be greeted by our admissions staff. Here you will collect your entry stickers, be provided with a map and shown where to begin your experience.
- Join a guided tour through Whakarewarewa and learn how the local residents continue to utilise the natural hot pools & steam for daily living. Learn of our traditions, rich history and life within a Living Maori Thermal Village. (approximately 60 mins)
- Enjoy Te Pakira cultural group who will entertain you with local songs and dance pertaining to our village and Rotorua. (approximately 30 mins)
- Geothermal Hangi Meal Traditionally cooked from our natural steam vents and hot pools, your hangi meal includes chicken, beef, potato, kumara (sweet potato), bread stuffing, carrots, cabbage, and sweet corn cob topped with gravy. Dessert is our famous steam pudding with fruit, custard & cream. Table water, tea & coffee also included. The only place in Rotorua you can experience a geothermal Hangi cooked meal for lunch. (approximately 60 mins)
Chicken, Corned Silverside (Beef), Potato, Kumara (sweet potato), Pumpkin or Carrots (upon availability), Bread stuffing, Cabbage, Corn on the Cob and Gravy
Steamed Pudding, Fruit salad, Cream and Custard
Self-serve Tea, Coffee and Water - Can drinks are also available for purchase.
Hangi meals are available daily between 12.00pm – 2.00pm
Depart or explore our village and walking tracks with steaming lakes at your own leisure.
- 10am tour, 11.15am show, 12pm hangi meal
- 11.15am show, 12pm tour, 1pm hangi meal
- 12pm hangi meal, 1pm tour, 2pm show
- 12pm tour, 1pm hangi meal, 2pm show
- 1pm hangi meal, 2pm show, 3pm tour
What to Bring
Camera and good walking shoes. If wet or cold bring an umbrella, warm jacket and or raincoat. (We have rain ponchos available for purchase, and umbrellas to hire).
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking.
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the tour.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher.
Rotorua Hangi Lunch and Maori Concert17 Tyron St, Rotorua, NZ 3010