Te Puia Geothermal and Maori Culture Experience
What you need to know
Te Puia in Rotorua is not only a geothermal attraction; this unique Maori cultural experience provides a fascinating introduction into the traditional Maori way of life. With this cultural tour, guests will be met by a traditional guide who will show you around this unique geothermal and cultural attraction, sharing myths and legends handed down over generations. Meeting at the impressive and symbolic entrance to Te Puia, guests will learn about the arrival and settlement of Maori ancestors and take a look around the interactive exhibition centre.
During your visit to Te Puia you will have a chance to see a native Kiwi bird in the nocturnal Kiwi House and the traditional Maori weaving school and watch master carvers at work. Te Puia is not only a cultural experience, here visitors can wonder at leisure, around the geothermal park and see its bubbling mud pools, fascinating geothermal formations and experience the famous exploding Pohutu Geyser!
To top off your day of cultural discovery it is highly recommended that you include the option of a Maori cultural performance! This unique Maori cultural experience where you can see traditional performing arts in action, experience the almighty Haka up close and feel the warmth and hospitality of the local Maori people.
- The World-Famous Pohutu Geyser
- Te Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley
- Kiwi House
- National Schools of Carving and Weaving
- Te Heketanga a Rangi (entrance)
- Rotowhio Marae
- Pikirangi Village
- Powhiri performance
- Taonga Gallery and Gift Shop
- Guided tours: are not compulsory and leave hourly from 9.00am, the last guided tour is at 4.00pm. Duration of guided tours: 60-90 minutes.
Daytime Experience Combo (includes cultural performance)
- Experience a personal encounter with our people, culture and place. You can enjoy Te Puia with a guide or on your own. The Daytime Combo tour includes a 45 minute cultural performance. Experience our warmth and hospitality (Manaakitanga) and the best of Māori performing arts.
- The cultural performance includes a powhiri (ceremonial welcome), hongi (ceremonial greeting), hapa haka (cultural performance), titi tore (stick game), haha (challenge), waiata-a-ringa (action song).
Cultural Performance Times
- Please specify your preferred time upon booking.
- Open every day
- Summer hours (October - March)- 8.00am - 6.00pm
- Winter hours (April - September)- 8.00am - 5.00pm
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience.
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
Te Puia Geothermal and Maori Culture ExperienceHemo Rd, Tihiotonga,, Rotorua, NZ 3040