Milford Mariner Overnight Cruise
What you need to know
An ultimate dinner, bed and breakfast experience in New Zealand's naturally gorgeous Milford Sound can be had with an overnight cruise aboard the Milford Mariner cruise ship. We'll depart from the Milford Sound wharf in the late afternoon and travel down the full length of Milford Sound itself while headed towards the Tasman Sea, all while in the company of an experienced, qualified and friendly nature guide who will fill you in on all the history and culture of the region.
As you relax on the deck, keep your eyes peeled to spot some of the fiord's unique wildlife including dolphins, penguins and seals, while admiring the fiord's many spectacular waterfalls, lush rainforests, rugged mountains and more. As day turns to evening, you'll be able to enjoy a delicious carvery lunch in the ship's dining saloon, before relaxing in the company of your fellow travellers or indulge in some stargazing before retiring to your private cabin.
Seasonal price variation
- Prices vary depending on seasons (subject to change). Please call to confirm the price for your preferred tour date
- High Season ($$) : Oct- Dec
- Peak Season ($$$) : Jan - Mar
- Low Season ($) : Apr - 20 May & 15-30 Sep
- An overnight cruise on the Milford Mariner is the ultimate dinner, bed and breakfast experience.
- Depart from the Milford Sound wharf in the late afternoon and cruise the full length of Milford Sound to the Tasman Sea accompanied by a specialist nature guide. The cruise style is relaxed, allowing plenty of time to view the fiord’s spectacular waterfalls, rainforest, mountains and wildlife.
- The Milford Mariner then anchors in a sheltered cove, where you can join the nature guide and explore in the vessel’s tender craft (small boat) and kayaks. Or, if you prefer, you can simply relax on deck.
- As evening falls, enjoy a carvery buffet in the dining saloon.
- Spacious viewing decks, dining saloon/fully licensed bar and observation lounge
- Private cabins with ensuite bathrooms (twin, double or single occupancy)
- Four-course evening buffet meal including appetisers, soups, salads, hot dishes, carvery meats and a selection of desserts (vegetarian options available on request).
- Cooked or continental breakfast
- Specialist nature guide on board
- Leisurely, extended full-length cruise of Milford Sound Wildlife viewing opportunities including seals, penguins, and dolphins
- English only commentary Interpretation hand-out sheets (eight languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Thai).
- Kayaking and exploring by tender craft
- A scenic flight back to Queenstown is optional and can be purchased at the time of booking
What to bring
- Non-slip shoes/ boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Warm sweater/fleece jacket
- Change of clothes
- Insect repellent
- Swimwear (optional)
- Cash for bar and snacks
- Overnight bag
- The Milford Mariner season is 15 Sept - 20 May
- The Milford Mariner does not operate from 21 May, June, July, August & 1-14 September
Ex Milford Sound
- Returns at 9.15am (day 2)
- Check-in is required 30 minutes prior to departure.
Ex Te Anua
- 12.45pm (day 1) - Depart Te Anau
- 12.30pm (day 2) - Arrive Te Anau
- Check-in is required 30 minutes prior to departure
- 9.00am (day 1) - Depart Queenstown
- 3.30pm (day 2) - Arrive Queenstown (by coach)
- Check-in is required 30 minutes prior to departure.
- Milford Mariner - A traditional style motor vessel with staysail schooner-rigged sails. Features a dining saloon, observation lounge and viewing decks. Has 28 private cabins with ensuite bathrooms and 2 ensuite family rooms with four bunks. Holds a total of 60 passengers overnight.
Travel and Coach
- The journey to Milford from Te Anau and Queenstown is magnificent.
- The Milford Road (between Te Anau and Milford) is one of the finest alpine drives in the world. The scenery is exceptional, ranging from broad grassy flats, dense rainforest, and towering mountains through to glacial lakes and alpine herb fields. No other road in Fiordland offers such a diverse glimpse into New Zealand’s alpine zone.
- Our luxury coaches have been purpose built for travelling the Milford Road, incorporating the latest technology for comfort and safety. The seats are tiered and angled towards the windows to maximise your views, and the expansive glass roof provides breathtaking sights of the snow-capped peaks.
- Our drivers have been selected for their experience and knowledge, and our schedule includes plenty of time for short nature walks and photo opportunities along the way.
- Lunch can be purchased en route in Te Anau.
How long does it take to travel to Milford?
If you are travelling from Queenstown it will take around 5hrs to reach Milford. Te Anau to Milford is around 2hrs 20mins. This timing allows for stops along the way for photos or short walks to places of interest. If driving, make sure you fill your vehicle with petrol in Te Anau before travelling to Milford (there are no petrol stations at Milford Sound or en route).
At Milford where do you park and go to check in?
There is a large car park at Milford Sound. You will need to allow around 10 minutes to walk from the car park to the Milford Sound Visitor Terminal where you check in for your cruise. Check in is required 20 minutes prior to departure.
What is the difference between Milford and Doubtful Sounds?
Milford Sound at the mountainous north end of Fiordland National Park is the classic fiord - a deep water inlet between steep sided high mountains. Milford Sound is a middle-sized fiord at around 13 kms in length and it is famous for its dramatic scenery, especially Mitre Peak. Doubtful Sound is located in the heart of Fiordland National Park where the mountains are still very impressive but not as high as Milford Sound. Doubtful Sound is three times longer and has a sea surface area roughly ten times larger than Milford Sound. Its three arms are Hall, Crooked and First Arm.
- During May, Sep & Oct quad-share accommodation is available on board the Milford Mariner
- Pricing is based on a per person rate
- Suitable for all ages with the exception of infants (0 - 4 years) in quad-share
- Child rates apply for 1 - 14 years
- Infants (0 - 4 years) may travel in twin/double cabins only. Infants (0 - 12 months) carried free of charge if sleeping in a cot, otherwise child rates apply. * Passengers to provide their own cot, unless by prior arrangement.
- Quad Share rooms have 3 adult beds and 1 smaller bed. Not suitable for 4 adults.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking, however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The from price displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- Cruise vessel subject to change without notice
Milford Mariner Overnight Cruise88 Beach St, Queenstown, NZ 9197