Marlborough Sounds Mail Boat Cruise from Picton
What you need to know
Hop aboard a genuine licensed mailboat and cruise through the picturesque Queen Charlotte Sound of Marlborough, learning about the region and delivering mail! On this cruise through an incredibly scenic part of New Zealand, you'll depart from the port of Picton at 1:30pm on a journey to not only take in all the wonderful fiord-style greenery, but to join the skipper in delivering the mail to the families that live at areas dotted throughout the Sound. Relax and enjoy the detailed onboard commentary documenting the history and geography of the Queen Charlotte Sound and the Marlborough region as a whole, while taking in local sights such as the Perano Whaling Station, the historic Ship Cove - a favourite stop of Captain James Cook - and various other vessels plying their trade amongst the waters.
Be sure to keep an eye out for marine and bird life - including dolphins and New Zealand Fur Seals - along the way; bring your camera as you'll have some great photo opportunities to take in! Lasting roughly 4 hours, this is a scenic and great value way to take in Queen Charlotte Sound while enjoying an insightful look at local lifestyles and sure to be a highly memorable cruise in the Marlborough region.
- 4 Hour Cruise around Queen Charlotte Sounds on brand new boat "Matua"
- Delivering mail to the local residents; say hi to the kids waiting for their school work
- 15 minutes ashore at Ship Cove, a favourite anchorage of Captain Cook’s
- View the resident wildlife and marine mammals such as New Zealand Fur Seals and visiting dolphins
- Learn the history of Queen Charlotte Sound and its residents from your friendly skipper
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Departs Monday to Saturday at 1.30pm and returns approximately between 5.30pm-6pm
- Please note during the winter due to a lesser number of deliveries and passenger drop-offs, the Mail Boat can sometimes return up to an hour earlier as travelling distances are reduced but you will still get the same great commentary
- Corner of London Quay and, Wellington St, Picton 7250, New Zealand
- Check-in is 30 minutes prior to departure.
- Child prices are valid for ages 5-14 years inclusive, infants travel free of charge with an adult.
- A limit of 20kg checked luggage per person applies.
- Mountain bikes are transferred for a fee of $5 per bike, per way.
- The cruise route of the sounds varies depending on the day you are booking. Monday and Thursday take one route, Wednesday and Saturday another and Tuesday and Friday, a separate a route. Click here.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Cruise vessel subject to change without notice
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
Marlborough Sounds Mail Boat Cruise from PictonCorner London Quay & Wellington Street, Picton, NZ 7220