Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway
What you need to know
See the beauty of the Kaikoura coastline with this scenic and relatively easy walkway. You can walk as little or as much as you want on the Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway as the trail offers a range of different stops from 200 metres to the full 11.7 kilometres. Showcasing some of the region's most beautiful sights such as the backdrop of rugged mountains and its local wildlife which includes whales, dolphins, seals, birds and crayfish.
Along the trail there are various posts indicating what is in the area and teaching walkers about the region's history, geology, flora and fauna. The trail begins in Kaikoura town centre and if completed in full will take you on a journey South Bay viewpoint before you return. This is a great way to see the beautiful Kaikoura region and the best thing about it is that it is completely free of charge.
- Kaikoura Town Centre to Point Kean Car Park: 4.4km (50 minutes)
- Point Kean Car Park to Point Kean Viewpoint: 200m (5 minutes)
- Point Kean Viewpoint to Whalers Bay Viewpoint: 1.5km (25 minutes)
- Whales Bay Viewpoint to South Bay Viewpoint: 1.1km (20 minutes)
- South Bay Viewpoint to South Bay Car Park: 600m (15 minutes)
- South Bay to Kaikoura Town Centre via Scarborough Street: 3.9km (1hr 15mins)
Other Short Walks
- South Bay Car Park to Limestone Bay: 250m (5 minutes)
- Limestone Bay to South Bay Viewpoint: 350m (10 minutes)