Overland Gannet Safaris
What you need to know
Travel to New Zealand's Cape Kidnappers in style and comfort on this great value half day tour to see its famed local colony of gannets firsthand! These charmingly playful and active birds form a huge colony of around 20,000 individuals all amongst some spectacular scenery, and on the tour you'll be taken along some wonderful NZ coastline from Napier to Te Awanga with the chance to get within just a few feet of the birds in their natural environment.
Pass through a variety of spectacular environs - such as stretches of lush native bushland, sheer rock ledges and ruggedly beautiful sections of coast - all aboard a comfortable, air-conditioned 4WD vehicle before stopping at a great lookout that provides unforgettable views of Hawkes Bay and beyond. With informative commentary, amazing views and several spectacular stops, this 3 hour Cape Kidnappers tour has everything you need to come away with some great memories of one of NZ's most underrated destinations.
- 3 hour trip
- Commentary by your tour guide
- Tea, coffee and cold drinks
- Hotel pick-ups are available from Hastings or Napier CBD at an additional cost
- The seating capacity is 100 at any time.
- You will travel in comfort in our air conditioned 4 x 4 wheeled vehicles, through Cape Kidnappers Station - traversing riverbeds, broad rolling pastures, through stands of native bush, steep gullies and breathtaking inclines.
- There is a stop on the way at a spectacular cliff top with panoramic views of Hawke Bay right across to the Mahia Peninsula.
- On arrival at the gannets you can stretch your legs and take in the mouthwatering scenery from your position at the brink of the cliffs edge - 100 metres above the ocean.
Times and Departure Location
- Hawke’s Bay is situated on the East Coast of the North Island of New Zealand - 5 hours drive form Auckland, 4 hours from Wellington, 2.5 hours from Rotorua and 1.5 hours from Taupo. The departure point is 30 minutes from Napier and 20 minutes from Hastings
- Tours depart from Sumerlee - Operating 7 days a week from September – April departing at 9:30am and 1:30pm.
- Hotel pick-ups are available from Hastings or Napier CBD at an additional cost. Pick-ups are 45 minutes prior to the tour.
- Each tour is 3 hours from the base.
What to Bring
- A minimum of 4 people required
- Cape Kidnappers is the largest most accessible mainland gannet colony in the world
- The 20,000 gannets at the cape are members of the Booby family, with distinctive black eye markings and a pale gold crown.
- In the air above your heads these amazing birds with their six foot wing span (2 metres) the birds swoop and dive as they bring back fish.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
Overland Gannet Safaris396 Clifton Rd, Te Awanga, NZ 4172