Little Blue Penguins Tour from Dunedin
What you need to know
The home to the world's smallest penguin, the Little Blue Penguin colony at Otago Peninsula is a must see attraction. With this tour enjoy the opportunity to witness these beautiful creatures in their natural habitat as they make their way back to shore as the sun goes down. One of the area's best night time attractions, the penguins can be seen scurrying up Pilots Beach back to their burrows in the nature reserve. With a view close enough to enjoy all the action, without being at a distance that could cause harm, this one hour tour will delight families, children and even adults.
Along with the chance to view these tiny creatures, the tour also includes stories about the cultural significance of the Pukekura area as well as offering up plenty of beautiful sights whilst reaching Pilots Beach.
These fully guided 3 hour tours run every day and depart at 5pm from the i-SITE Dunedin Visitor Centre, 50 The Octagon, next to the Civic Centre entrance. It is asked that guests arrive at least 10 minutes before their scheduled tour. Simply wear some warm, waterproof clothing and closed in shoes and enjoy a unique tour that will melt your heart. Cameras are allowed, however flash photography is not permitted.
- 3 Hour Fully guided tour of the Otago Peninsula
- Knowledgeable guide
- Pick up and drop off from the Dunedin i-SITE Centre
- Drop off can be at tour accomodation within the city centre
- A knowledgeable guide will take you on a memorable tour through the Otago Peninsula
- Keep silent as not far from the shore the penguins congregate in groups known as “rafts” where they often can be heard vocalising – usually short, loud squawks
- Smile to the Penguins as they scurrying up to their cliff-face burrows at Pilots Beach on the Otago Peninsula after a busy day at sea
- With silences come stillness, discover the Kororā and the Little Blue Penguin within their natural habitat. With the minimal human disturbances you experience the natural behaviour of these beautiful birds
- View the world's smallest penguin, the Little Blue Penguin
- At dusk penguins come ashore and make their way to their nests where they feed their chicks or roost
- You will be able to travel the entire length of the Otago Peninsula where you will see the landscapes and wildlife that has made the area famous as a world-class eco-destination
- An educational and unique experience for anyone at any age
What to Bring
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Solid footwear
- Camera (Flash not permitted)
- Tours depart in the evening between 5.30- 6pm in the cooler months and between 8.15pm - 9.30pm in the warmer months. Times are approximate and subject to seasonality and time of sunset. Please confirm your exact departure time by contacting the operator listed on your tour voucher after booking. Duration is approximately 90 minutes.
- Departs from the Dunedin iSite Information Centre
- i-SITE Dunedin Visitor Centre, 50 The Octagon, next to the Civic Centre entrance
- The driver will pick up passengers from outside the Visitor Centre
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to the pickup time. Look for the Otago Peninsula Trust Birdmobile
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
Little Blue Penguins Tour from Dunedin1260 Harington Point Road, Dunedin, NZ 9054