Royal Albatross Viewing Tour
What you need to know
Get your camera ready as you embark on a 60-minute tour in the Dunedin region to view Royal Albatross in their natural habitat. Led by an experienced and knowledgeable guide, this unique tour features views of the birds from an exclusive observatory as well as a short film about the local colony. This is the only breeding colony of Royal Albatross on land in the world and is hope to more than 20 different bird species, so you'll be sure to see other local birdlife on the tour.
Throughout the tour, you'll be given insight into the social and family life of the colony, see the beautiful nature reserve in which they live and watch the breeding colony go about their day. Your guide will also teach you about the history of the Royal Albatross and a few fun facts about them.
A tour that is both scenic and informative, you'll walk away with a new appreciation of these incredible birds, the way they live and their breeding habits as well as some incredible photographs of the colony in the beautiful Otago Peninsula setting.
All tour members in the small 18 person group are asked to wear warm, waterproof clothing, solid footwear such as runners or hiking shoes and a camera, however, no flash is permitted on the tour.
- 60 Minute Unique Albatross tour
- Knowledgable and informative tour guide
- Short film about the colony
- Colony viewing from an exclusive observatory
- Experience the breeding colony of the Royal Albatross
- See the nature reserve from unique areas
- Witness the social and family life of the breeding colony
- Keep a look out for the opportunity to be amazed by the soaring three-metre wingspan of the birds
- The only mainland breeding colony of Royal Albatross in the world and home to over 20 species of birds
- Small groups (18 pax per tour allowed by permit)
- The only tour to access an exclusive observatory on a Department of Conservation (DOC) nature reserve
- Learn the full fascinating history and facts about the Royal Albatross
- Hotel tranfers
- Tour extension, please see Unique Royal Albatross Tour with Fort Taiaroa
- Tours depart at 10:30am daily.
- 1260 Harington Point Rd, Otago Peninsula, PO Box 492, Dunedin
What to Bring
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Solid footwear
- Camera (Flash not permitted)
- 2 self-drive mobility carts available upon request, please contact us directly to book these if required
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! - Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking, however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
Royal Albatross Viewing Tour1260 Harington Point Road, Dunedin, NZ 9054