Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise and Coach from Manapouri
What you need to know
Fiordland's Doubtful Sound is a geographically huge destination packed with stunning natural beauty; with these overnight cruises, you'll be able to immerse yourself in its breathtaking scenery and spend the night while anchored in a sheltered cove to extend the experience an additional day! The journey will begin when you board the cruise yacht - the Fiordland Navigator - that awaits you at the beginning point of your Doubtful Sound cruise, and we head off to cruise the full, impressive length of the fiord and weave through its hidden coves and waterways.
During your time on the water, keep your eyes peeled for local wildlife that inhabit the area including bottle nose dolphins, fur seals, rare penguins and more. The chance to go swimming will also present itself as we drop anchor, or perhaps explore the shoreline by kayak. In the evening, enjoy a delicious meal prepared by our onboard chef and relax in the saloon before you head to your cosy bed.
Seasonal price variation
- Prices vary depending on seasons (subject to change). Please call to confirm the price for your preferred tour date
- High Season ($$) : Oct - Dec
- Peak Season ($$$) : Jan - Mar
- Low Season ($) : Apr - May & Sep
- Launch transfers across Lake Manapouri
- Coach over Wilmot Pass
- Leisurely exploration of Doubtful Sound on board the Fiordland Navigator
- Traditional style motor vessel with staysail schooner-rigged sails
- Dining saloon, observation lounge and spacious viewing decks
- Wildlife viewing opportunities including - fur seals, penguins and dolphins
- English only commentary
- Dedicated nature guide with specialist knowledge of the regions history, flora and fauna
- Interpretation hand out in five languages (English, German, French, Spanish and Japanese)
- Kayaking and exploring by tender craft
- Four corse buffet dinner including appetisers soup, salads, hot dishes, carver meat and a selection of deserts
- Cooked or continental breakfast
- A mix of ensuites and shared bathroom facilities based on room type
- Evening dining includes three-course buffet meal with a selection of mains (please advise dietary requirements at time of booking). Breakfast includes a choice of cooked and continental. All meals are served in the dining saloon
- It is recommended that passengers order a Picnic Lunch for Day 1
- Only one overnight bag should be brought on board for passenger convenience and safety reasons. There are limited luggage storage facilities available at the Real Journeys Visitor Centre in Manapouri
- Operates between 1 September - 20 May each year
- Does not operate in June, July and August
- 12:00hrs Day 1 Depart Manapouri (12:30hrs Oct- Mar)
- 14:00hrs Board Fiordland Navigator (14:30hrs Oct - Mar)
- 10:00hrs Day 2 Disembark Fiordland Navigator
- 11:45hrs Arrive Manapouri
- Itinerary may change depending on the season.
What to bring
- Non-slip shoes/ boots, waterproof jacket
- Warm sweater/fleece jacket
- Change of clothes
- Insect repellent
- Swimwear (optional)
- Cash for bar and snacks
- Overnight bag only
- If you have 3 people and would like to avoid having another person in your quad share room, you will need to purchase an extra child ticket
- Fiordland Navigator - A traditional style motor vessel with staysail shunner-rigged sails. Features a dining saloon, observation lounge and viewing decks. Has 18 private cabins with ensuite bathrooms and 9 quad-share bunk style compartments with a shared bathroom facility. Holds 72 passengers overnight.
- Twin and Double bedding configuration available
- How long does it take to travel to Manapouri? From Queenstown to Manapouri by car or coach takes around 2 hrs 45 mins and from Te Anau around 30 minutes.
- Is there car parking at Manapouri? Overnight car parking is 950m from the Manapouri Visitor Centre and daytime car parking is provided adjacent to the Visitor centre.
- Are there luggage storage facilities at Manapouri? Yes, there is very limited luggage storage available at the Manapouri Visitor Centre for our overnight cruise passengers (maximum one bag only per person).
Terms and Conditions
- Seasonal price variation - Peak: Oct - Mar, Super Peak: Feb, Off Peak: Apr, May & Sep
- Suitable for all ages with the exception of infants (0 - 4 years) in quad share
- Quad-share: we endeavour to assign compartments as "all female" or "all male" but we cannot guarantee this
- Child rates apply for 1 - 14 years
- Infants (0 - 4 years) may travel in twin/double cabins only. Infants (0 - 12 months) carried free of charge if sleeping in a cot, otherwise child rates apply. Passengers to provide their own cot, unless by prior arrangement.
- Suitable for all ages, with exception of infants in quad share
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking, however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- Prices are seasonal and are constantly changing. The 'from price' displayed may not always be the price you are going to pay, as once you click on your specified date, the price will change to reflect the price for that date/season. Please note that in some cases where you cannot click on a date to obtain the price, please call us so we can assist you
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise and Coach from Manapouri2/74 Shotover St, Queenstown, OTAGO 9300