Christchurch Botanical Gardens Tour
What you need to know
No trip to Christchurch is complete without a visit to the Botanic Gardens and there is no better way to discover the astounding natural beauty of this central city oasis than on a Caterpillar Garden Tour! The Christchurch Botanic Gardens were first established in 1863 and now boasts 75 acres of exotic and indigenous plants and trees making this one of the best and most cherished Christchurch attractions. This fully guided garden tour is led by gardening experts taking you on an electric, solar-powered shuttle or “Caterpillar” to discover the natural beauty, history and culture of the Garden City. This all-weather activity is comfortable, eco-friendly and flexible as you can hop-on and hop-off at any clearly marked stop along the route. One ticket is valid for two days giving you plenty of time to explore the quiet corners and open lawns, relax, have a picnic, and feed the ducks while watching the punters float down the Avon River. Each season presents its own magical scenery with the fiery colours of autumn, a dusting of winter snow or the lush greens and colourful flowers of spring and summer - no matter what time of year you visit, the grounds are always well-maintained and looking their absolute best. The Christchurch Botanic Gardens are located right in the city centre so a Caterpillar Garden Tour is a great way to get your bearings and take in the beautiful sights of the garden city.
- 1 hour tour (hop on hop off if you wish)
- Informative and fully guided electric shuttle tours through Christchurch’s spectacular Botanic Gardens
- A single ticket is valid for 2 consecutive days
- Established in 1863, the gardens 75 acres host without doubt the finest collection of exotic and indigenous plants to be found anywhere in New Zealand
- The professionally-guided tours have been designed to allow visitors the flexibility of staying on the shuttles for the full circuit or alternatively visitors can choose to "hop on or hop off" at any of the clearly-identified stops around the Gardens
- The modern shuttle fleet of 4 vehicles are electric & solar-powered and are environmentally and wheelchair friendly. Each shuttle can carry up to 20 visitors
Tram and Garden Combo
The Christchurch Tram is a unique, elegant and environmentally friendly way to see the city. Allow us to take you around the ‘must-see’ central attractions - get on and off as you please at any of our seven stops or relax while the tram takes you through the inner city.
The 1km track takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and encompasses the city sights including New Regent Street, Cathedral Junction, Cathedral Square, Avon River, Art Gallery Centre, Arts Centre, Canterbury Museum and The Botanic Gardens.
This tour operates 7 days a week, 365 days a year
10am - 4pm, October - March
11am - 3pm, April - September
Tour departs from the Canterbury Museum entrance of the Botanic Gardens
- The vehicles are solar powered and are environmentally and wheel chair friendly
- Each shuttle can cary up to 20 passengers
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher