Guided White Island Volcano Tour
What you need to know
THIS TOUR HAS BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Book a tour of one of the world's most amazing natural sites - White Island, an active volcano in New Zealand's Bay of Plenty - for an incredible adventure! On this White Island tour, you'll get a close-up, firsthand look at White Island's steamy, moon-like landscape departing from the nearby port of Whakatane for a trip that takes you to another world. Unlike many other accessible volcanoes in the world, White Island allows you to traverse its innards on foot - you'll see the likes of roaring steam vents and ash-soaked ground as well as deposits of vivid yellow sulphur.
You'll be provided with safety equipment - including gas masks when required - to ensure your safety during the tour which adds another layer of adventure to the proceedings! The trip over from Whakatane is also incredibly scenic, and you'll be able to get some great views and keep your eyes peeled for a range of marine life - including dolphins in particular - along the way. With the trip from the shore to the island taking 80 minutes, you're getting a wonderful cruise as part of the tour all for a very reasonable price. One of the Bay of Plenty's true must-do activities, book yourself a tour to White Island online today.
- 80 minute boat journey
- Professional and experienced crew and tour guides
- 1.5-2 hour fully guided walking tour of White Island's inner crater area
- A light packed lunch and refreshments
- Safety gear (gas mask and hard hat)
- Permit to land on the island
- Permit to spend time with any marine life that we encounter
- Quality cruising aboard purpose-built vessels
- Check-in is at White Island Rendezvous, 15 The Strand East, Whakatane. Check-in is required 30- 45 minutes prior to your advised departure time
- Due to tides, sea conditions and operational requirements our tour departure times vary on daily basis. Tours generally depart between 8am and 10am
- We will confirm the exact departure time with you the evening prior which is why it is very important that you provide contact details where we can get hold of you or that you ensure you contact us if you have not heard from us by 8pm (Tour operator details will be printed on your voucher)
What to Bring
- Fully enclosed shoes with good grip
- Warm waterproof jacket
- Drink/water bottle
- Swimming gear is optional in summer
- What time does the boat get back to Whakatane? From time of departure our tour normally takes between 5 and 6 hours. The time varies as it depends on sea conditions and we will also spend time with any dolphins or other marine life we encounter
- Can we go swimming at the island? During the summer, if conditions permit, there may be a chance for a swim out at the island. You are welcome to bring your swimming gear
- Can anyone go on a White Island Tour? We have a recommended minimum age of 8 years and will not allow children under the age of 4 onto White Island
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
Guided White Island Volcano TourWhite Island Rendezvous, 15 The Strand East, Whakatane, NZN 3120