Bay of Islands Tall Ship Sailing Cruise
What you need to know
When visiting the Bay of Islands, taking to the waters and touring the islands is a must-do. Explore the beautiful natural landscape in a unique way by sailing the area aboard an authentic tall ship! Choose between a full day sail and a late afternoon sail and take to the seas! For some excited, get involved—help the crew by setting the sails, riding the bowsprit and climbing the rigging; or just relax and let the crew control it all while you listen to their interesting and informative commentary and enjoy the spectacular views.
Join the 6 hour full day, which includes a sail through the islands, stopping at one of them for a swim and for lunch. All profits from these day sails go toward youth sail training programmes. Alternatively, you can enjoy the 1.5-hour late afternoon sail on which you explore the inner harbour’s sheltered waters while admiring the sun set and also indulging in an antipasto platter and a glass of wine. Sail on Northland’s iconic tall ship for a memorable tour of the Bay of Islands!
The R. Tucker Thompson is operated by a not-for-profit Charitable Trust. Profits made through these commercial tourism activities are used to run youth development sail training voyages over the winter months, as well as maintaining the vessel in good condition. Your support in choosing this experience for your clients is greatly appreciated.
- Full Day Sail
- 6hr Tall Ship cruise
- Island stopover
- Morning tea and BBQ lunch
- Be as active as you like - take the helm, help set the sails, ride the bowsprit or climb the rigging
- 1.45hrs Tall Ship Cruise
- Antipasto platter
- Beverages are an additional cost and can be purchased on board
FULL DAY SAIL:
- Departs Russell Wharf, Waterfront. Departs at 10am and returns at 4pm
- Available from late October to mid April
- If staying in Paihia catch the 9.30pm ferry from Paihia Wharf to Russell (ferry price included). When the cruise returns back to Russell at 4pm, you can then catch the passenger ferry back to Paihia which leave on the hour (ferry ticket included)
- The ship is unavailable for day sails on the following dates: Sunday 11 November 2018, Wednesday 21 Novemer 2018, Sunday 2 December 2018, Wednesday 12 December 2018, Monday 31 December 2018, Sunday 10 February 2019, Sunday 17 March 2019 and Tuesday 26 March 2019
LATE AFTERNOON SAIL:
- Departs Russell Wharf at 4.00pm and returns at 5.45pm
- Available from late October to mid April on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
- If staying in Paihia, catch the 3.30pm passenger ferry across to Russell (ferry ticket included). You will return back to Paihia at 5.45pm by bus from Opua (bus included)
What to Bring
- Sunscreen and
- Warm Clothing
- Walking shoes
- The R. Tucker Thompson is operated by a not-for-profit Charitable Trust. Profits made through these commercial tourism activities are used to run youth development sail training voyages over the winter months, as well as maintaining the vessel in good condition. Your support in choosing this experience for your clients is greatly appreciated
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience.
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control. We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
Bay of Islands Tall Ship Sailing CruiseThe Maritime Building, Waterfront, Paihia, NZ 2020